Monday, June 4, 2007

Chianti Classico Riserva 2003

There almost every day,
now, perhaps indefinitely, gone again.
The sun's warmth was out,
but it must retrieve back in.
The moon has risen but no longer brightly,
leaving only her thoughts to reflect in the Chianti.

Chianti Classico
Riserva 2003
Tomaiolo

I have never been a fan of Chianti. It's about the last red I would choose. The few I've ever had have completely sucked all mositure out of my mouth. I stopped at a very cool wine shop near where I work on my way home. The owner recommended this Chianti with dinner (homemade pizza again). I knew from my favorite wine author, Kevin Zraly, that 2003 was one of the "best bet" years for Tuscan wine, AND, I knew that a Chianti Classico Riserva is one of the better values. This was a pretty good Chianti. I enjoyed it more on its own than with my pizza. It had more flavor and a much better finish than any previous Chianti I've encountered. I know a lot of people don't particularly care for "oakiness", but I tend to gravitate toward it. This has elements of oakiness with a pleasant balance of berry. I would definitely buy it again, but I probably would not serve it with pizza as the flavor seemed to get washed out.

7.5 out of 10
$13.99
12.5% alc. content

Fact from "Windows on the World Complete Wine Course":

"The name 'Chianti' was first recorded in A.D. 700. Brolio, a major producer of Chianti, has been in business since 1141. Thirty-two generations of this family have tended to the vineyards and made the wine."

No comments: