Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chardonnay - This Wine Poet's Favorite White

Walking and riding bikes in the late afternoon heat,
wearing just enough clothes.
Coming home to cool grass leaving behind the sweltering street,
lightly misting my girls, laughing under the hose.
Writing my thoughts, birds and crickets in song,
out on the patio, I end my day.
Waterford crystal dances beside cobalt, blue spheres and patchwork arcs,
welcoming a crisp, chilled Luna di Luna blend of Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay.

I previously reviewed Luna di Luna, but thoroughly enjoyed a small glass again. Not having a new wine to review, I thought I'd list some interesting facts about my favorite summertime wine.

Chardonnay is a white burgundy. Chardonnay, Gamay and Pinot Noir are the major grapes of Burgundy, France. Chardonnay grapes grow best in Burgundy and Champagne, France; California and Australia.

There are more than (30) wine grape varieties planted in California. In 2004, the following was the top acreage breakdown:

2004 California Totals:
VARIETAL...................................ACREAGE
Chardonnay..................................96,500
Cabernet.......................................74,900
Merlot............................................52,000


"Chardonnay is a red wine masquerading as a white, which, in my opinion, makes it a perfect match for a steak." (Kevin Zraly)

Ah, no wonder why it is my favorite of the whites!

No comments: