Thursday, June 7, 2007

Captain! PLEASE Bring Me My Wine . . .

Bear with me through this seeming tangent. This has been quite a week. It began this past weekend when my washer broke. I bit the bullet and put a new washer and dryer on my credit card and paid for weekend delivery but it couldn't be installed because our shut off valve was broken. I had to call a plumber first. My new washer and dryer are sitting in my messy garage. Trying to get Sears to come back has been impossible. I've got (3) kids, and a dog that occasionally throws up (this week of course being one of those occasional occurences) and I've been without a washer now for 6 days. The Guy left for MA to cover Patriots training on Monday night and I came down with a nasty respiratory infection of some sort Tuesday morning. That same day I somehow unintentionally got in the middle of my boss and my friend (his wife) and their nasty marital demise, which then resulted in friction between myself and my boss's 80-something year old mother (who I also work for - and you don't want her mad at you). I'm still baffled and bewildered over the whole experience. (Thankfully, all parties have apologized to me and we've moved on.) My respiratory duress escalated and I had to seek medical attention and, against my naturalstic tendencies am now on antibiotics, a "controlled substance" cough syrup, and an inhaler. Heluva way to lose weight. (The ironic upshot to this is I did a body toxin cleansing fast all Sunday night through Monday night, then woke up wicked sick on Tuesday.)

Needless to say, I haven't felt much like wine tasting or blogging. But, I hate to let so many days go by without posting anything at all. So, in the absence of any wine to taste, I thought I'd post some recommendations from Kevin Zraly's book. It is my hope when I'm much better to try a few of these and report my findings. And, when I do finally get better, I'll be dancing my way into the wine shop and will totally savor that first glass which will be very much deserved.

No particular vintage is recommended for this list as most are retasted every year and have been found to be consistently good. (This is not the complete list at all.)

Everyday Wines
($10 and under)

Argentina - Bodegas Norton Malbec, Bodegas Esmeralda Malbec, Trapiche Malbec
Australia - Jacob's Creek Shiraz/Cabernet, Penfolds Semillon/Chardonnay, Yellow Tail
California - Beringer Merlot Founders Estate, Fetzer Merlot Eagle Peak, Fetzer Sauvignon Blanc or Syrah, Monterey Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Glass Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, Pepperwood Grove Chardonnay
Chile - Walnut Crest Merlot, Santa Rita Cabernet Sauvignon 120
France - Beaujolais-Villages Louis Jadot or Georges Deboeuf, "45" Jaboulet, Fortant de France Merlot or Syrah, La Vieille Ferme Cotes de Ventoux, Les Jemelles Syrah or Merlot, Reserve St.-Martin Merlot
Italy - Chiarlo Barbera D'Asti, Montepulciano Red, Casal Thaulero
Spain - Bodegas Montecillo Cumbrero, Marques de Caceres Crianza
Washington State - Columbia Crest Semillon-Chardonnay, Covey Run Fume Blanc, Hogue Chardonnay, Columbia Valley

Once-a-Week Wines
($10-$20)

Argentina - Malbec Alamos, "Collection Privada"
Australia - Banrock Station Chardonnay, Black Opal Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz, Penfolds Bin 389, Rosemount Show Reserve Chardonnay
California - Benziger Chardonnay, Merlot, or Cabernet Sauvignon; Castle Rock Pinot Noir, Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, Cline Cellars Zinfandel, Estancia Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon, Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve, Syrah or Cabernet Sauvignon; Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon, Rosenblum Zinfandel Vintner's Cuvee, Simi Cabernet Saugvignon, Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay;
Chile - Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot Cuvee Alexandre, Los Vasco Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Rita Cabernet
France - Alsace Reisling - Trimbach, Cotes de Rhone Reserve Perrin, Drouhin Vero Chardonnay or Pinot Noir; Fleurie, Georges Deboeuf
Germany - Kabinett/Spatlese - Wehlener
Italy - Allegrini Valpolicella Classico, Antinori Sangiovese Santa Cristina, Pighin Pinot Grigio, Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva
New Zealand - Brancott Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, Goldwater Sauvignon Blanc, Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Stoneleigh Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc
Oregon - A to Z Wineworks Pinot Noir, Cooper Mountain Pinot Noir, Argyle Chardonnay
Spain - Bodegas Muga Reserva, Conde de Valdemar Crianza
Washington State - Canoe Ridge Merlot and Chardonnay, Chateau St. Michelle Riesling Eroica, Columbia Crest Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon

Once-a-Month Wines
($20 - $50, most under $40)

Argentina - Catena Cabernet Sauvignon Alta, Salentein Malbec
Australia - Greg Norman Estate Shiraz, Penfolds Shiraz Bin 28
California - Artesa, Beaulieu Rutherford, Beringer Knight's Valley Hess, Joseph Phelps, Whitehall Lane (all Cabernet Sauvignon); Arrowood Grand Archer, Beringer Private Reserve, Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve, Mondavi (all Chardonnay); Clos du Bois, Frei Brothers, Phelps (all Merlot); Acacia, Byron Mondavi, Saintsbury (Carneros), Williams Selyem (Sonoma Coast) (all Pinot Noir); Clos du Bois, Fess Parker, Justin (all Syrah); Fife Old Vine, Ridge Geyersville, Rosenblum-Continette, Saghesio Old Vine (all zinfandel)
Chile - Conach y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon, Errazuriz Don Maximiano Founders Reserve, Vina Montes Cabernet
France - Chateau Carbonnieux Blanc, Chateau de Malle (Sauternes), Chateau Lagrezette (Cahors), Chateau Pontesac, Chateau Sociando-Mallet
Italy - Antinori Badia a Passignano, Antinori Chianti Classico Tenute Marchese Riserva, Melini Chianti Classic Riserva Massovecchio
New Zealand - Kim Crawford Chardonnay
Oregon - Argyle Pinot Noir
South Africa - Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir and Chardonnay
Spain - La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza, C.U.N.E. Contino Reserva
Washington State - Canoe Ridge Chardonnay, Chateau St. Michelle Dr. Loosen Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon, L'Ecole No. 41 Cabernet Sauvignon

No comments: