Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Luna Di Luna Chardonnay Pinot Grigio

2005
Italy

La luna
del sole della luna
del dio del sol
Dei dii
Discende
L'arresto la confusione

Moon of the moon
Sun of the suns
God of gods
Descend
Stop the confusion

A friend recommended Luna Pinot Grigio. I stopped on my way home and had a little discussion with the wine guy. I don't believe I bought the right wine, but I enjoyed what I bought. Luna di Luna Chardonnay Pinot Grigio and Luna di Luna Pinot Grigio Pinot Grigio were available in the large bottle size. As I wasn't sure I was buying the right one, I opted for the smaller bottle and only the Chardonnay Pinot was available in that size. The wine guy tried to stop me from purchasing either one. He even asked me if I trust my friend's recommendation. I said "just give me the damn wine." (No, I didn't say it out loud - just in my head.) This is a fat, bald guy with a heavy NY accent who is supposedly "100% Italian" and he thinks Luna is "over-rated." I told him to shut the hell up and let me be the judge (no, I actually said that in my head also - but it still felt good).

Anyway, I opted for the Chardonnay blend (as I am more partial to Chardonnay) and really enjoyed my first glass on its own after chilling on ice. I had a few sips and then took my children to the library. Upon my return The Guy had helped himself to a glass and commented that he thought it was good. I made grilled shrimp, tri-colore bow tie pasta, asparagus, olive oil, lemon and garlic, with fresh arugula from the garden thrown in, and freshly grated parmesean. It was a great accompaniment to the meal, especially the shrimp. The flavor of the wine died down a bit following my consumption of the arugula. I think the arugula flavor was just too strong and it overtook the fruit of the wine. But following each bite of shrimp, the Luna was dead on a good match.

I will buy and try the full Pinot soon and I would love to try the Luna "Freakout" white wine - (just a little out of budget for the next couple of weeks).

8 out of 10
$8.99 / bottle
12% alc. by vol.
http://www.lunadiluna.com/

No comments: