Monday, June 25, 2007

Bottega Vinaia Pinot Grigio and Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz

Bottega Vinaia Pinot Grigio
2005
Italy

Shiny green motion
Sun passing through summer trees
Dancing in the breeze

A little Haiku, for you, prior to my wine review :)

Would drink again.

We taste-tested this at Olive Garden. I liked it - slightly drier than I normally prefer, but very good flavor and balance and I think with the right food pairing it would be excellent. I probably should have had it with my meal (linguini, garlic, basil and tomatoes), but I opted for the Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz (review next) because I love reds so much (plus the antioxidant level in reds is far superior to the practically non-existant levels in whites).

7.5 out of 10 (could definitely be an 8 with food)
Not sure of the alc. by vol.
Approx. $18.99 - 21.99 / bottle
Trentino-Alto Adige Region


Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz
2005
Australia

Definitely will drink again.

I ordered this at Olive Garden and really enjoyed it before my meal, and with my calamari appetizer. It did not accompany my main meal well and I knew that was a risk I was taking. I find Merlot and most Cabarnets (for me) go well with garlic. But Shiraz is a little tricky. This wine is almost the reverse of the Pinot Grigio rated above. I would give it an 8 out of 10 rating before my meal and 7.5 out of 10 with my meal.

8 out of 10
$15.99 / bottle
Australia
http://www.penfolds.com/

Little side note: this evening I am enjoying again, a glass of Columbia Crest 2004 Grand Estates Merlot - much better than that corked 2003!!!! I am thinking I should have given this an 8 out of 10 in lieu of 7.5.

No comments: