Monday, June 11, 2007

Kendall-Jackson 2005 Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve

Kendall-Jackson
Chardonnay
California 2005

I sit reflecting as the radio plays,
and the "Rascal Flats" hauntingly enter my thoughts through my daze:

"I've dealt with my ghosts and I faced all my demons,
Finally content with the past I regret.
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness.
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long . . .
I'm moving on.

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces,
each one is different but they're always the same.
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it,
they'll never allow me to change.
But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong.
I'm moving on.

I'm moving on, last I could see,
Life has been patiently waiting for me.
And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone.
There comes a time in everyone's life when all you can see are the years passing by.
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone.
I'm moving on . . .

. . . Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road,
I'm moving on."

The tears well up, and silently for strength I pray,
Then giving in, I gently sip my Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay.

I don't know what's happened to my taste buds. Chardonnay has always been my favorite summertime end-of-the-day delight. But these last couple of years, it hasn't tasted the same. They say your taste buds go through changes every seven years and things that you used to like might change. Chardonnay has become more acidic (almost carbonated) to me. It's not as smooth as it used to be. It used to effect me like a winter velvet red. About three or four years ago, my favorite Chardonnays were Clos du Bois, Chateau St. Michelle, Columbia Crest, and Kendall-Jackson. They all taste different to me now and it's beyond disappointing. Interestingly enough, three or four years ago I was paying approximately $17.99 per bottle for each. Now they are all $3 to $4 cheaper.

This weekend, however, I found a little of the old fondness in Kendall-Jackson's 2005 Vintner's Reserve and I remain happy this evening as I partake in it again. Saturday night I grilled some chicken marinated in my favorite sauce "Veri Veri Teriyaki" by Soy Vay www.soyvay.com, along with Shitake mushrooms, red, yellow and orange peppers, sweet onions and parmesean risotto. I poured myself a glass of KJ Chardonnay while waiting for dinner and enjoyed a little of the past. The flavor was all there, but there was just a hint of “carbonation” (for lack of a better term) bothering me. Later, the vanilla, oak, and pear I love so much was drowned out slightly by the strong dinner flavors. However, with tonight’s dinner it was superb. (And before dinner too with a piece of oat, flax pita bread dipped in kalamata olive-artichoke hummus). I made organic brown rice penne with sauteed shrimp in olive oil and garlic, organic grape tomatoes and MY OWN off-the-kitchen garden arugula, topped with freshly grated parmesean. I truly believe a couple of days in the fridge softened it a bit and it wasn’t as acidic for me. It was a great compliment to the meal.

7.5 out of 10
http://www.kj.com/
$13.99 / bottle
13.5% alc by vol

No comments: