Sunday, January 13, 2008

Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir


Private Selection
2006
California

Might drink again as an "everyday" wine.

The Guy and I have been on The South Beach Diet for about a week. Only important translation: No wine for two weeks. I haven't been doing too well on it. I did great the first (4) days then gave in to peanut M&M's and (of all things) BEER Potato Chips (they were so good - beer, sugar and salt - everyone else who tried them HATED them - why did I have to be the one that had to continue to consume half a bag???????) However, I managed to stay away from wine. Until this weekend. But I didn't really do too bad. The Guy opened this wine on Friday night, making a decision to just have a glass or two and then go back on the diet. I had 1/2 glass so I could get the taste and at least write a more recent post.

I've mentioned before, I'm not a Mondavi fan. This wasn't too bad. The color was a bright ruby. It's better with food. And it's slightly better the second day. On it's own it was reminiscent of grape juice with a kick. But it had more cherry flavor with a bit of oak following chicken in a yogurt sauce. It would probably be a good luncheon accompaniment to lighter foods like chicken, pork, ham and maybe a few mild, creamy or vegetable pasta dishes.

We could in the United States make as great a variety of wines as are made in Europe, not exactly of the same kinds, but doubtless as good.
--- Thomas Jefferson

7.75 out of 10
$10 / 750 ml bottle
13.5% lc. by vol.

No comments: