Monday, January 21, 2008

Arrowood 2003 Chardonnay

Posting 1 of 4 related

I have a lot to post and am excited about my day yesterday and all four wines I had to drink last night (Thank you Uncle Bob)- yes four! I went from almost having no wine to drink in the last (2) weeks to having (4) different ones last night. I don't recommend anyone do that as it packed a huge punch which didn't catch up with me until I tried to lay down in bed. Luckily, I spent the night at my aunt and uncle's. And, in case that wasn't enough, Uncle Bob sent me home this morning with half a case from the wine cellar. I will have much to review in the next few weeks (though I must admit, not exactly "budget" material - but I do have enough of my own budget wine to throw in between the others so please keep checking back).

My wine-filled evening began after spending the day at my cousin's fiancee's wedding shower in New Jersey making cake and drinking champagne (this was a shower for close friends and direct family of the bride only, but my aunt graciously included me as she knows I love to bake). The shower was a great time - the mother of the bride is an artist and she had her beautiful paintings displayed throughout her home, as well as some interesting sculptures she does. Most of her paintings are of people, but there was a beautiful one of a vineyard in Italy that I just loved.

The bride-to-be's beautiful sister arranged for New York City artist and cake studio owner Elisa Strauss to teach us all how to make perfect cakes http://www.confetticakes.com/. This was such a great time. Elisa is so talented, sweet and extremely funny. I was so excited with all that I learned and how my cake came out (and everyone else's - especially my cousin's perfect bow with her "surgeon's hands" ! She is not a surgeon, she is an ER doc, but everyone kept mistaking her for a surgeon due to her flawless bow - and we did use surgical knives to perfect our cakes - care of Elisa's dad).

Are you ready for my cake??? Check it out.
















Yes! You can eat it. I couldn't wait to bring it home to my children. They couldn't believe it was real cake. It was the hardest thing (emotionally) to cut into it!!! It was absolutely delicious and so hard to see it go! I am SO eager to try this now on my own.

Ok, onto the first wine. I was unable to grab a picture before Uncle Bob had replaced it with a different bottle to accompany dinner. (The next three wines tasted during and following dinner will be reviewed sometime in the next few days.)







Sonoma County
Russian River Valley
California

2003


Would love to drink again if I could get my hands on more.

While waiting for dinner, Uncle Bob brought out Arrowood Chardonnay. It had wonderful fruit and oak aromas prior to tasting. The wine was rich, almost creamy, toasty oak and vanilla with an awesome mineral finish. I loved this Chardonnay. It was delicious on its own and accompanied simple mixed nuts well.

Robert Parker rated it an 89 in 2005 (I don't think he gave it justice - perhaps if he had it now it would rate better).

Thoughts brew over flames that dance and crack
The weight of weary days take their consecutive toll
Giving in to the warmth massaging my back
I relinquish to the fire that, for tonight, nourishes my soul

8.5 out of 10
14.1% alc. by vol.
$25.99 / 750 ml. bottle
http://www.arrowoodvineyards.com/

2 comments:

hrchick said...

Wow!! What a gorgeous cake! No wonder you were so excited about the fruits of your labor at the shower!! It looks too good to eat - so glad you had such a great time!
hrchick

eatingplum said...

Ohmigosh, what a beautiful cake! I just took my first fondant cake class and can share your excitement. =)