Monday, January 14, 2008

Reynolds Shiraz


2004
South Australia


Will drink again. Bonzer Mate.

First, an aside:
Funny thing - I know this woman, who just so happens to be my mother, and she called me up recently to tell me she tried The Holy Trinity (more like drank the whole bottle in one sitting), also care of The Bro, and yet, I never saw any commented posted from her. Hmmm.

Now, onto the most recent tasting:
Ok, ok, ok. It was supposed to really snow last night and I so love the snow and impending storms (some storm that turned out to be - facetiously spoken) and I made a fire in the fireplace and just wanted a glass of wine, in spite of my diet. So, here I am reviewing a wine before I intended to.

As I am SO lucky thanks to Christmas purchases, gifts and trades to have mostly wines above $20 in my home at the moment, I chose the only cheaper wine we had (though, as it was a gift, I didn't know its pricing until I looked it up). I made a pork loin for dinner and chose this Shiraz. I opened the bottle and poured a glass and brought it into The Guy and told him to tell me what he was drinking. His first reaction, right off the bat was, "Shiraz." Then he let it settle and he changed to a "Cabernet." Then he said, "It must be a blend because it's not quite a Cabernet." Not too bad - I'm impressed. It's actually 93% Shiraz and 7% Cabernet. He also believed it to be an "under $20 more than $15 wine."

I was slightly impressed with this wine - I don't know if it's because I took a wine break for awhile and can really taste well, or if it's just because I haven't had any in awhile and any wine is good! The scent was of black cherry and pepper. The taste was exactly as it smelled with a slight heat finish that was fairly smooth. It was good with the pork loin and good on its own. However, the wine bottle recommends (and I love this next sentence!): "It's bonzer with tri-tip steak, sausages, ribs or any food fit for the Barbie."

I think this is a good value for the money. The Guy and I figured, based on initial taste, its price range to be $15-17. It's $9.99.

She gets up and pours herself a strong one
And stares out at the stars up in the sky
Another night, it's gonna be a long one
She draws the shade and hangs her head to cry

She wonders how it ever got this crazy
She thinks about a boy she knew in school
Did she get tired or did she just get lazy?
She's so far gone she feels just like a fool

My, oh my, you sure know how to arrange things
You set it up so well, so carefully
Ain't it funny how your new life didn't change things
You're still the same old girl you used to be


-------The Eagles

8.0 out of 10
$9.99 / 750 ml bottle
13.5% alc. by vol
http://www.reynoldsvineyards.com/

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi merlotsoul,

In the last few months, you may remember receiving an email invitation to become a part of the Foodbuzz Featured Publisher Program. With all the recipe-writing and food photography to be completed, we know emails can easily get lost in the shuffle, so Foodbuzz would like to re-extend our offer of inviting you to be a part of our food blogger network. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

hrchick said...

Hi merlotsoul:

We LOVED The Holy Trinity - sorry my comment was so delayed but thanks to some very good advice, here I am! - and we thoroughly enjoy reading the entertaining commentary from both the guy and the gal as well as the good wine advice since we are novices about what's good and what's not - good wine for a reasonable price is what we look for!! I also had a friend comment to me last night that your blog is "AWESOME"! She really enjoys reading it too -Keep up the great work!
hrchick