Saturday, January 26, 2008

Morgon Gamay


2006
Cote du Py
Gamay
Beaujolais
Jean Foillard

The Guy loved the scent, then had a couple of sips and handed it back to me. He said he was looking for a heavy Cab or Merlot and wasn't happy with this "weird" taste. I liked it. I am not a Beaujolais fan (though I must admit I haven't had too many - I consider Beaujolais "summertime picnic fare" and I haven't been on any of those lately). Ironically, my first Beaujolais was brought by The Guy, when he was first "courting" me. He brought two Louis Jadot Beaujolais' from his Dad's cellar to my bungalow one night. He probably doesn't even remember that though!

Anyway, I found tonight's Gamay (care of Uncle Bob - please note that a Google link for Uncle Bob shows up here but it has absolutely nothing to do with my uncle) much more flavorful and not as light as previous Beaujolais wines I've had. I liked it. The color was a cloudy claret. The scent was of thyme and cherry. The taste was mushroom, olive and earthy beef and a little cherry mixed in. It was good on its own but I did prefer it with pork chops (and gourmet peppercorns and "shrimp scampi" seasoning).

It helped that the bottle had one of my favorite wine pioneers' quotes on the back:
"Good wine is a necessity of life for me."
Thomas Jefferson

(We US wine lovers owe a lot to that President.)

Tonight's thoughts are totally on my mind (Duh!). I love all kinds of music - I really run the full gamut. But tonight I'm listening to Keith Urban's "Love, Pain and the Whole Crazy Thing" which I absolutely love. My favorite song, playing right now, is Stupid Boy (awesome haunting ending and guitar rift). It reminds me of my first boyfriend. I totally loved him and he was just "bad to the bone". I can't tell you how many times he wronged me. It took me four years but I finally walked away just before Christmas. His mother called me telling me I was breaking his heart and not to do it. He called me threatening to shoot himself (with a BB gun mind you). I later found out he'd bought me a diamond for Christmas. Funny how life turns out. One decision and everything changes. Wild. As the mother of a daughter, or two, or three, I'm very concerned about their future love(s) and the roads they will be taken down (or choose to take).

So, on my way into work one recent morning I was listening to a local rock station and a local singer that I like was on as a guest, live in the studio. The DJs kept begging him to play his "old girlfriend" song. He said he would but he had to mentally prepare for it. Turns out, he wasn't mentally prepared before I arrived at work. But, ironically, his "old girlfriend" song was a response to his old girlfriend's song now made popular by Keith Urban! Yup - it was Stupid Boy. SHE wrote Stupid Boy about him and Keith made it popular. I wished so bad that I could stick around in my car for his retaliation. The dynamics of it all were totally fascinating.

The interesting thing about what Keith's done to the song is that he's twisted it to be about himself - he sings her song just the way she wrote it, but then he sings "Yeah I'm that same ol' stupid boy" and at the end, he shows incredible emotion as he screams his apology.

Oh, in case you're actually wondering if my old boyfriend survived his BB gun, he did. Though I never saw him ever again, I know he's out there somewhere, still alive and not much smarter.

Tomorrow night's menu is for my mother's birthday and will be a pairing of The Holy Trinity, 2001 with the Moroccan grilled chicken/mint sauce recipe on http://www.cheznathalie.com/. I can't wait. Although I posted a review in December on the wine, and I've previously listed the Moroccan Chicken recipe on ChezNathalie, I will post the wine-food pairing results sometime next week as the two are specifically recommended to be served together.

Well, she was precious like a flower
She grew wild, wild but innocent
A perfect prayer in a desperate hour
She was everything beautiful and different
Stupid boy, you can't fence that in
Stupid boy, it's like holding back the wind . . .

Well, she laid her heart and soul right in your hands
And you stole her every dream and you crushed her plans
Yes, ya did

She never even knew she had a choice and that's what happens
When the only voice she hears is telling her she can't
You stupid boy, . . .

It took awhile for her to figure out she could run
But when she did, she was long gone
Long gone, long gone
Ah, she's gone

Written by Sarah Buxton and sung by Keith Urban

8.0 out of 10
$25 / 750 ml. bottle
13% alc. by vol. (which I prefer - lower alcohol content)

No comments: