Monday, January 28, 2008

Ancient Coast

Posting 4 of 4 Related:

2002

Ice Wine
Vidal Grapes (100%)
Niagra Falls Canada

Before I review this wine, I'd like to just give an update on the pairing of the Holy Trinity, 2000 with the Moroccan Chicken recipe posted on http://www.cheznathalie.com/ (go to "Topics" and the "Food / Drink" section). The two were most excellent together. The original recipe actually calls for the pairing to be with the 2001 Holy Trinity. But I believe this was probably close enough. The chicken is served with Greek yogurt mixed with chopped fresh mint leaves which especially taste interesting with the wine.

I got off track there a bit and never completed my wine experiences with Uncle Bob a week and a half ago. After the Arrowood Chardonnay (Posting 1 of 4 Related reviewed below) we had the Pride Merlot and the Pomerol (see "Posting 2 and 3 of 4 Related" reviews below). Following dinner, we all shared my aunt's fondant cake made at the bridal shower earlier in the day. My aunt, it seems, has an affinity for Ice Wine. So my uncle brought up the 2002 Ancient Coast. This was my first ice wine experience. I really enjoyed it. It was excellent with the cake - especially the chocolate cake layer - the chocolate flavor seemed to burst forward following a sip of the wine. The color was like a cognac and the flavor was like apricots and honey. Very, very good.

If you are unfamiliar, Icewine (or "Eiswein" in German) is a dessert wine made from grapes (in this case, Vidal grapes) that have been frozen while still on the vine. The sugar doesn't freeze, but the water does, resulting in a concentrated, usually very sweet wine. Freezing takes place before fermentation.

Forsake not an old friend; for the new is not comparable to him:
a new friend is as new wine; when it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure.

-The Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach or Ecclesiasticus, 9:10


8.0 out of 10
9% alc. by vol. / 375 ml. bottle
Approximately $20

No comments: