Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cloudline Pinot Noir



The following review is sort of an addendum to the one below it for "Belle Glos Pinot Noir"


2006
Oregon

Will drink again.


I wanted to do a separate post for this wine though it was enjoyed on the same day as the Belle Glos Pinot Noir. I previoiusly mentioned in one of my December posts that The Guy, The Bro and I did a blind taste-testing. I was slightly proud of my amateur self at how well I did at identifying the wines. However, the two that I messed up were the two Pinot Noirs. I guessed that Cloudline was Belle Glos and Belle Glos was Cloudline. I feel this is poignant because there were nice similarities in taste between the two which I believe led to my confusion - yet one was California and over $40 a bottle, and the other was Oregon and under $20. Bottome line: As much as I loved the Belle Glos, I will again purchase more Cloudline for the flavor it delivered at more than half the price.

The color was classic "Ruby Red" and it had a nice cherry and subtle oak bouquet. Like the Belle Glos, I would have to say this was very flavorful for a Pinot Noir. It had more substance and finish than most. It wasn't as bold as the Belle Glos, but it had wonderful fruit-forward flavor (but not too sweet) and a light oak and spice finish that was quiet but nice - very soft, elegant.

It is recommended to drink now through the next six years. And it is recommended to accompany either turkey or beef - though it accompanied smoked ham well on my dinner table (though I must say I did enjoy it more on its own prior to dinner).

In summary, I have to disagree with The Guy's comments in the Belle Glos review because when dealing with these two Pinot Noirs, the vast difference in expense was not noted in taste - and if you're on a "lower" budget, that makes Cloudline a real good thing.

Oh, and, as for The Guy's comments on my poetry, he might want to watch less football and drink less beer.

No poems can please for long or live that are written by water drinkers.

-- Horace, 65BC

8.5 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$17.99 / 750 ml bottle (have seen on sale for as little as $15.99)

No comments: