Friday, January 4, 2008

Belle Glos Pinot Noir


2006
Clark and Telephone Vineyard
Santa Maria Valley
California

Would definitely drink again.

Frederic, thank you for your comments back on the 21st with regard to Chamarre Pinot. I have not had the Chardonnay Grand Reserve. Now that you have
recommended it, I will look for it.

Before I review the current wine, Frederic's post reminded me that I want to go back to my "Top Five" list for 2007. I left off one of my other definite favorites: The Dead Arm. I loved it. But it is over $50 and therefore I don't consider it a recommendation for those on a budget.

Conversely, I would most definitely have to say that the following wines (which are all under $10) deserve honorable mention: Root 1 Cabernet, Crush Red Wine and Chamarre Pinot Noir.

OK - Belle Glos. I apologize for the poor picture of the bottle but it's all I've got. I was enjoying Christmas too much to keep up with the camera. I am not a huge fan of Pinot Noirs though I will occasionally buy one. This Pinot The Bro brought totally surprised me. I am used to Pinot Noir being lighter in color and lighter in taste - weaker than I like my red. It was a nice balance of fruit and spice - Cherries, herbs (a little thyme in there), and pleasant earthiness. It was full-bodied and a dark plum color for a Pinot Noir. It was delicious alone and I thought it accompanied our smoked ham extremely well - the cloves and honey in the ham seemed to be accentuated by the herbiness in the wine. It had the longest finish I'd ever experienced in a Pinot Noir.


in one minute's time
everything changes, head spinning
like sprung clock hands overwound
things written
vast differences present worlds apart
lessening common ground


8.75 out of 10
$42.99 / 750 ml bottle
14.6% alc. by vol.



The Guy: Not being a big fan of Pinots, I have to say I didn't mind this one. Ironic, "not minding" drinking an expensive bottle of wine. A bit of the snooty coming out I dare say.

This was not your typical Pinot Noir though. The finish was long enough to savor, the berry flavors weren't too overpowering, and unlike many of the lesser expensive Pinots, this one didn't just wash out (lose flavor) after the first couple of sips.

We've tried so many wines during the holiday season, it's tough to really tell you how different this one was from the others. Mind you, we were comparing this wine to the other expensive (at least for us) wines we were sampling. When you compare this to a $10-15 bottle, there is no comparison to truly describe the subtle differences, but you do know you're drinking a much better bottle. I'd have to say that difference shows up much more clearly with a lighter wine like this Pinot than it does for many of the deeper, bolder reds we've reviewed in the past.

And the broken hearts poetry? Can we move on to the next theme please? Oh, we did... good. Thanks. Dont' get me wrong, I love the Gals' poetry, but I'm starting to get a complex, even if the words are influences from just some of her favorite songs.

No comments: