Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Quarterback 2005, McLaren Vale Red Wine



Quarterback
2005
McLaren Vale Red Wine
Australia

Winemaker: Tony De Lisio

Will drink again.

30% Shiraz, 27% Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot 22%, Grenache 21%

I bought this wine for The Guy for Christmas simply because of it's name. However, it is a McLaren Vale and it is a blend, so I did use a little discretion.

This wine was very (subtly) alluring. The Guy and I enjoyed it more the second night – though the first night was good. Big fruit aroma – smells like it will pack a punch. It is a “quiet”, mellow yet full, cherry flavor-packed, woodsy wine up front. The finish is very subtle and just goes away gently.

This has got to be my favorite wine quote ever from The Guy: He said "When you put the Quarterback in your mouth, you get a burst of taste." (Oh, I'm thinking Matt Cassel or Tom Brady.) He insists he was talking about the wine, but I still think all these months and years of watching those tight ends run around have certainly had quite the effect on him.

The recommendation is to drink over the next 6- 10 years.

The Wine Advocate gave it a 90-92 rating.

When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part . . .
. . .When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The giving up is the hardest part

---John Mayer
Dreaming With a Broken Heart

8.5 out of 10
$22 / 750 ml bottle
15% alc. by vol.
http://www.epicureanwines.com/


The Guy: Yeah so... like ... um... The loss from words is due to an inherent inability to keep up with the quick wit of the gal. All I know is that I'm not the one fawning over these pics (1, 2, 3, 4) from camp. Odd name for a wine, but heck, if it is half as good as the team I follow, then why the heck not give it a shot?

No comments: