Monday, October 1, 2007

Phantom 2004 Sirah Zinfandel Blend

Phantom 2004
54% Petite Sirah
43% Old Vine Zinfandel
3% Mourvedre
California - V.2004

Will most definitely drink again.

Supposedly, this wine is only found in retail stores once a year - just in time for Halloween. Then it's gone again and hard to get your hands on. I got the last bottle in the store I was at. They have more on order but it's not due in for a couple more weeks.

I was beginning to think 2007 was going to end without my tasting a most excellent wine. That's when the "phantom" came in. Awesome. Deep, deep ruby color. The bouquet was heavy smokey fruit - not sweet. While there was almost a burst of fruit flavor initially, it quickly became dry and smokey followed by an outstanding mineral and earth finish.

I preferred this wine on it's own. The night we had it we had a light leftover and salad menu so I didn't try to pair. It is recommended to serve with a hearty winter dish. The Guy and I consumed the bottle and tonight, as I write, I long for more. I keep going back to smell the empty bottle.

In the name of freedom or politics?
Famlies split, long enough.
Lives affected, changed, taken.
Abandoned tractor sits, finish now rough,
bearing the sign of so much foresaken.

9.0 out of 10
$19.99 / 750 ml bottle (but have seen on-line for $16)
14.8% alc. by vol.
http://www.boglewinery.com/

1 comment:

PasaRoblesCab said...

Took your advise and had my supplier get me a case. What a great decision. I thoroughly enjoyed this wine. Exactly as you described. I first drank some Proseco with apps. and mixed greens. Then opened the bottle of Phantom. Let it breathe for a while and enjoyed it without food then with food. I feel uilty because I hid the bottle and left the J. Lohr for the people who dont normally drink red, I wanted it all to myself. I look forward to keeping it in the cellar and enjoying it more next year. A perfect wine as you suggested