Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Robert Mondavi Vinetta



2005
Private Selection
California


Will drink again - yet another good pick for the money.


This blend of 68% cabernet sauvignon, 14% merlot, 11% petit verdot, 5% malbec and 2% cabernet franc was thoroughly drinkable. I am not a fan of Robert Mondavi anything (no offense, I just haven't liked any of his wines). One of the guys I work with kept telling me I had to try Mondavi's "Vinetta". I couldn't find it anywhere. I found it waiting for me at my desk on Monday morning.


The color was almot a flourescent purple. The scent was fruit, licorice and alcohol. Although Mondavi describes this as a "Bordeaux-inspired" blend, I found it more fruity than earthy. For the first time, I smelled and tasted licorice mixed with dark cherry, followed by oak. There wasn't much of a finish, but there was a nice quick burst of oak at the end that I did enjoy.


I think it would serve well as an everyday wine to have on hand for relaxed company (not any connoisseurs).


Glasses are raised,
toasts are spoken.
Reservations are made,
engagements are broken.
An old man sighs,
and one life comes to an end.
A baby cries,
and a new life just begins.
Witness the energy flow in and around each building,
as life takes form beyond each light.
Yet, still, loneliness abounds,
reflecting across the Harbor at night.


8.0 out of 10
$9.99 / 750 ml. bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.

No comments: