Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Redwood Creek Sauvignon Blanc


2005
Frei Brothers
Modesto, California

My stepfather-in-law stopped by with a Sauvignon Blanc for us to try on their way to Vermont for their 30th wedding anniversary. It was enjoyable. It tasted slightly more enjoyable with Muenster Cheese (my favorite as a kid). I tasted sort of the usual citrus and melon. Nothing out of the ordinary. But it paired very well with the cheese, and vice versa. Not much of a finish.

I don't get as excited tasting whites as I do reds. To me, although they are different, most Sauvignon Blancs taste similar and Chardonnays taste similar and Pinot Grigio's and Reislings taste similar. But I find much greater distinguishing characteristics among reds.

My cousin just married a "Reisling man" and I've invited them for dinner somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I hope to learn a lot. His best friends own a fairly well-known vineyard that specializes in Resiling. It's his favorite wine. I am hoping to be enlightened and have more to report in the future.

My Uncle brings a Reisling every year for our opening Thanksgiving appetizer (in addition he usually brings a Red Zin for the main meal, and a Port for dessert). He knows his Reisling also - I think I may have previously written that he turned me on to Reisling one Easter afternoon when he served it with prosciutto and melon. Uusally I find Reisling too sweet. But he knows precisely what food accompanies what wine well and it was an awesome pairing.

Maybe the sun will shine today
And clouds will roll away
Maybe I won't be so afraid
I will understand
Everything has its plan
Either way

"Either Way" - Wilco

7.50 out of 10
$11.99 / 1.5 L bottle
13% alc. by vol.

No comments: