Friday, October 5, 2007

Nine Stones 2005 Shiraz

Nine Stones 2005 ShirazHilltops
2005 Shiraz
Australia

Might drink again.

As I was doing my "photoshoot" for this blog, I opened the wine to pour into our two glasses and went to work shooting some pix. The entire dining room filled with this wonderful, strong fruit scent while I took shots. I started salivating anticipating what the wine would taste like. The color was really dark purple - almost like ink.

The taste was bitter first and tasted a bit like Robitussin cough syrup, then very spicy and peppery and dry. Slight fruit with a short finish ended it.

I was disappointed based on how wonderful the initial room-filling aroma was. The taste didn't hold up to what I smelled. It definitely tasted better after having sat open for half an hour. It's a good wine for the price and would probably do best as a drinkable one to have on hand for casual entertaining. I bet it is a wine that will definitely improve with age.

7.5 out of 10
$11.99 / 750 ml
14% alc. by vol.

I received my "Wine Enthusiast" mag this afternoon and was psyched to find my favorite location featured: the Barossa Valley. There is a featured article on some of the bigger Barossa Vineyards and then the Buying Guide in the back is chock full of highly rated Barossa wines. Some (actually most), unfortunately, are on the very pricey side - "my" 2004 Yalumba Octavius is one of many (the one I so hope to be able to taste one day) having received a nice rating of 94.

The following is a link to the on-line mag, though it's only updated through September as yet. The Barossa article is in the November issue.
http://www.winemag.com/homepage/index.asp?adid=WEMAGTAB

No comments: