Sunday, October 7, 2007

Carmen Reserve 2005 Merlot

Carmen Reserve
Valle De Casablanca
Chile

Paso Robles, I am SO glad you found the Phantom as alluring as myself. You are a lucky dog that you've got yourself a case.

Might drink again.

Note: I have posted two reviews tonight. Please see my review below of Clos du Bois 2004 Chardonnay.

OK - This is very funny to me. With regard to the Phantom wine that I reviewed a few nights ago (the same wine I also refer to above in my comment to Paso Robles) I read an on-line review while looking where I might purchase it. The person loved Phantom, but one of their "tastes" they picked up was "Creosote". I made all kinds of comments to The Guy about whether or not he thought that person climbed into their fireplace and licked the back wall to actually know what creosote tastes like. Now, I know fully well in the back of my head that I have smelled weird things in wine that I have not actually tasted in real life (cat pee comes to mind for instance). So I really do know better than to poke fun at a strange taste. But I did it anyhow.

Tonight I eat crow. The Carmen Reserve had a strong bouquet of fruit and earthiness. The flavor was very dry fruit with a hint of vanilla, then pepper, followed by a slight smokiness and then . . .creosote!! I actually tasted what I think creosote would taste like. We had a fire in our chimney a couple of years ago (due to a buildup of creosote) and the smell that resonated that night was what I tasted in this wine. Therefore, I didn't particularly like it. But then the finish turned earthy and the creosote went away and it was slightly long. Even though it was a really weird experience, I am glad I had it. I like a wine that has the ability to make one taste strange things.

Take me to the vineyard.
Is it wrong, is it a sin?
I want to press the grapes into my hair,
rub their juices on my skin.
I want to bathe in moonlight,
pour the wine over my head.
Let it run until it finds my mouth.
I long to fall asleep in a vine-filled bed.

7.75 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$11.99 / 750 ml.
www.carmen.com

No comments: