Friday, October 12, 2007

Nipozzano Riserva Chianti

2004 Nipozzano Riserva Chianti 2004
Chianti Rufina
Tuscany


Will drink again. See the rating below.

I am not fond of Chianti. It is too dry and there is not usually much of a finish for me. Tonight, I had a Chianti I thoroughly enjoyed. This was very good. I think if you're a Chianti lover, you are going to really appreciate this wine. Actually, if you're not a Chianti lover (as myself) you will appreciate this wine. It's a good wine to start with.

It was very fruit forward in scent and taste. It was a "deep, plum red" in color (per The Guy's description and I concur). After the fruit, I was hit with the dryness which is usually where I stop liking Chianti because that's all there is. But it was followed by a nice finish. It was definitely "Chianti" in taste, but at a "higher" level. It had a smoothness and a lingering finish that made it especially good. And, for the first time, I tasted plum. It tasted good on its own and with our dinner (home-made pizza with fire-roasted tomatoes, ricotta, fresh organic mozzarella, chicken sauteed in garlic, olive oil, organic mushrooms and fresh parmesean cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes).

"The Bro" is visiting from out of town and, along with massive sized pumpkins, he brought me beautiful chrysanthemums, gifts for my children, (3) bags of apples (I think he's hoping they will get used in a pie or two before the weekend's up), and . . . (6) bottles of wine. He sure knows how to cheer me up. I bought the Chianti for tonight's dinner, however.

"The Bro" had this to say about it: "I like Chianti - but it usually has a higher acidity and this one doesn't. There's a slight acid and then it just ends, followed by an exceptionally smooth finish."

"The Guy" felt this Chianti tasted like a "cheap, Italian table wine." (He just likes to play Devil's Advocate and we just humor him and throw him pizza crust.)

Tomorrow's review will be of Penfold's Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz (courtesy of The Bro).


SGT JASON LANTIERI

At the flagpole along my morning route,
I was introduced to you today.
I felt a lurch in my chest,
and once again, wished we'd found a better way.

In tribute, majestic flag flapped in the wind,
set at half-mast on it's pole.
The reports, all no longer new,
tell the sad story, the loss of yet another soul.

A future comes to a screeching halt,
no way for it to come back.
As another family is stricken,
by the loss of a son in Iraq.

8.25 out of 10
$21.99 / 750 ml.
13% alc. by vol.

http://www.frescobaldi.it/

As a side note: Wine Spectator gave this Chianti a 91 rating.

3 comments:

donald dinkum said...

Tasted 11/23/07. I was impressed by this moderately priced Chianti which showed better balance – more fruit and less tannin - than I expected. For a Chianti, it had surprising finesse (though that is a relative term). Deep garnet, an alluring plum nose, moderate depth and good sweet fruit on the palate. I can’t believe it, but WS may have got this rating right.

donald dinkum said...

Tasted 11/23/07. I was impressed by this moderately priced Chianti which showed better balance – more fruit and less tannin - than I expected. For a Chianti, it had surprising finesse (though that is a relative term). Deep garnet, an alluring plum nose, moderate depth and good sweet fruit on the palate. I can’t believe it, but WS may have got this rating right.

Unknown said...

I have tasted this wine before and I've always been more than satisfied. I can't say past vintages have impressed me as much as this one has - this one really blew me away. Jay ho Chianti!