Sunday, August 12, 2007

Yellowtail Shiraz

2006
Yellowtail Shiraz
Southeastern Australia

The water a silver blue
Reflecting the early morning sun
Sitting on the deck alone, overlooking Fisher's Isle
A train in the distance making its first run

Seagulls calling back and forth
Dingies and foghorns echo
American flags flap in the wind
Suddenly not wanting so much to go

Sea breeze, cleansing my soul
An isolated boat glides past as if on glass, erecting its sail
Deep breath in, deeper breath out
Savoring the memory of last night's Yellowtail

I don't know if it was my State of Mind following a harrowing ride on I-95 to pick up my children, or the nerve-settling view before me, but last night's Yellowtail Shiraz was just what I needed. My step-father-in-law (I can hear him saying "blood or lack of blood has got nothing to do with it - we're family") poured me a glass on the Stonington deck and I relaxed.

My car gave me trouble. It's been so good to me and I am thankful it got me all the way to my destination after failing me on the Groton-New London bridge in the middle lane with a psychedelic purple Mack truck on my tail. I couldn't get my shifter to shift. I was in neutral going nowhere with traffic all around me. I still had a ways to go.

By the time I got to where I needed to be, I was frazzled. My step-father-in-law insisted that I have a glass of wine at that moment rather than waiting for dinner. I relinquished and I'm glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised with the 2006 Yellowtail Shiraz. For the going price, this is a buy. Nice berry, but even nicer vanilla. Quiet, decent soft finish. Great without food and great with grilled steak.

8 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$12.99 / 1.5 L bottle
http://www.yellowtailwine.com/

No comments: