Monday, August 6, 2007

Calina Reserva Merlot

2005
Valle Del Maule
Chile

The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words which were better unspoken.

HomerThe Odyssey, bk. XIV, l. 463

I have learned my lesson: 1. Limit myself to one glass (unless it is a wine I myself rate greater than an 8, or greater than a Robert Parker or Wine Spectator 90 or 91 in which case, provided I am not responsible for any children or driving anywhere, I will just continue to drink as long as I am still revelling in the flavor - EVEN if I am alone, talking to the dog, belting out tunes, and getting jiggy with it.) 2. Don't buy wine without having Windows on the World Complete Wine Course easily accessible - like out in the car. I don't care if I need to leave the wine shop 3 or 4 times to go consult. Hell, from now on I will just bring the book in with me.

I bought a Chilean Merlot, 2005 Calina Reserva, imported by Santa Rosa, CA. But I was remembering (ineffectively) Kevin Zraly mentioning Chilean 2005 red being exceptional, especially Caliterra Reserve (not exactly Calina Reserva) and Santa Rita - Casa Real (not quite Santa Rosa, CA import) being two of the best wineries. Well, I did get the 2005 red right on.

I taste-tested this last night with corn on the cob and Chairman's Reserve Pork Loin. NOT a good pairing. However, Yellowtail Chardonnay was GREAT with the corn. Tonight, I had half of a leftover spinach, ricotta, mozarella, mushroom and fresh garlic calzone, and the glass of Calina
Reserva was better.

The initial tasting the previous night was that it was very dry for me. It had a fairly decent bouquet, and I thought it might be pretty good. But when I tasted it, my mouth immediately was dried out, there was a hint of cherry, followed by . . .nothing. It went flat and tasteless. However, having it again tonight with the calzone, there was a slight finish, though not as long as even the shorter version of what I like to experience. But I tasted a hint of vanilla. HERE IS THE COOL THING: Much later tonight, I ate a piece of dark chocolate and, as I am forever looking to find the perfect red with chocolate, I had another sip of the Calina. I tasted tobacco and it was really awesome. I am not particularly fond of tobacco, though I am sure there may be an instance where I might be interested in tasting it, I know both red wine and chocolate can let such flavor loose. I don't know if it was the wine bringing out the tobacco-ness of the chocolate, or the chocolate bringing out the tobacco-ness of the wine, but I liked it.

7.25 out of 10 (with the recommended food pairing of pizza, pasta or cheese and I might add chocolate)
$9.99 / bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.

No comments: