Thursday, August 16, 2007

Turkey Flat Rose ("Roh-zay" - can't do the accent mark!)

2006
Barossa Valley
South Australia

Rose = "roh-zay"

(Review in bold below if you wish to escape the Wine Poet's ramblings)

Sitting out after dark to escape dinner's cooking inferno,
Heat lightning illuminates the twilight pink sky.
Going over all things ever said,
Making miracle wishes on bright stars up high.
Billie Holiday's "Stormy Weather" drifts from the kitchen,
But it's another song continuously running through the head.

Chad Kroeger and Carlos Santana sing,
'Every time I try to talk to you I get tongue tied
Turns out, everything I say to you comes out wrong and I don't know why
So I'll say why don't you and I get together
Take on the world be together forever
Heads we'll win
Tails we'll try again.'

Living off of distraction, it's still been a good day,
Rich's Dairy Farm, Kent Falls, and Turkey Flat Rose.

I never thought I'd see the day when I would actually pay money for a Rose. The July issue of Wine Enthusiast Magazine is dedicated to Roses (over 300 are rated and some are surprisingly pricey). I had to give one a try. I was actually looking for 5 particular producers (all California, mostly Paso Robles) and vintages (mostly 2006 as we're talking a young breed), and had to settle for a lesser choice as my local wine shop only had a very small section dedicated to this "new" fancy. I bought the South Australian "Turkey Flat" for $18.99 and bypassed Austria's "Tegernseerhof". When I got home and immediately tore through my WE issue, I discovered both bottles were reviewed with "Tegernseerhof" being a WE rating of "90" and only $12! The "Turkey Flat" received a mere WE rating of "88" and cost me $6 more. (Incidentally, when I spoke to the wine merchant about their small Rose section, she said that they will actually be building on the selection as it's becoming the latest interest).

The Wine Enthusiast article focused on "Jeff Morgan", "Rose Avenger". He runs "SoloRosa" (which means "only pink" in Italia) in Napa Valley, CA and he has written a book entitled Rose, A Guide to the World's Most Versatile Wine. I quote him as follows: " . . .a few of my rose-loving wine colleagues and I also founded the Rose Avengers and Producers (RAP), which is dedicated to 'righting the wrongs' done to dry rose. We've put on "Pink Outs" in New York and San Francisco with as many as 150 winery members pouring their pink wines for sold-out capacity crowds. Anyone can join RAP. It's free, too. For details, go to www.rapwine.com.'

"Turkey Flat" was interesting for me. First, it's color was a "darker" almost flourescent pink. It's bouquet was a little "sweet" for my usual taste, but the finish surprised me. The first sensation I had was of strawberry. It did become less sweet with the finish and was refreshing and slightly dry where I didn't expect it would actually have a finish. It is 64% Grenache, 19% Shiraz, 11% Cabernet, and 6% Dolcetto. I found it light and refreshing alone, delicious with my olive loaf (kalamata, black and green olive wheat bread dipped in olive oil) and non-existant with my dinner. I made a chicken, sun-dried tomato, broccoli and white wine and garlic bowtie pasta. (I actually used my 2006 Drylands Sauvignon Blanc in the dish). Neither the wine or the meal was accentuated by the other. However, the olive flavoring in the bread was greatly enhanced when followed by a sip of the Turkey Flat. And the Turkey Flat was more dry and less sweet following the olive loaf. I have to say I surprisingly enjoyed it - better than the Papio Pinot Grigio.

Bottom Line: It was a refreshing wine on a warm summer's eve, but I wouldn't pay that much for it - should have been more along the lines of $12.99.

7.5 out of 10
12.5% alc. by vol.
$18.99 (Gulp! Yes for a Rose!)
http://www.turkeyflat.com.au/

1 comment:

Jeff Morgan said...

Dear Merlotsoul,

First the good news:You're drinking pink! And now the bad news: You still judge a wine by its color. I know you meant it in a positive manner, but I can't believe you would write that you're amazed to be spending money for a rose. (Shit, I can't even do the accent aigu in this cruddy American/English word program. You see why we need RAP (Rose Avengers and Producers)? Indeed, we rose producers still often get no respect, despite the rose renaissance. Even worse, too many folks like you make disparaging remarks about how rose shouldn't cost much. D'you think fine wine makes itself? D'you think good grapes cost nothing? Have you any idea what it costs just to get wine into a bottle? Or shipped to your favorite retailer? If you did, you'd know that it's almost impossible to make a living off small quantities of fine-crafted rose (or most other so-called low priced wines).

That said, you often get what you pay for. We make three roses at SoloRosa (which, by the way, I thank you for mentioning in your blog). One of them--at $15 is just too damn cheap. However, our $28 rose of Syrah is well worth it. And the reason it costs "so much" is that it costs a whole lot to make....And if I do say so myself, it's one of the best roses I've ever tasted (and I've tasted more rose than most anyone else on the planet.) If you don't believe me, go buy SoloRosa Syrah Rose Russian River Valley 2006. It's still a good deal at $28...(If you can't find it at your local retailer, visit our website at www.solorosawines.com.

Now...if you prefer the cheap stuff--pink, white or red--you're a lucky man (or woman). Go with your palate...especially if it agrees with your pocketbook. But please get off your high horse about what a wine should cost--until you try to make a living as a winemaker! And forget about what a rose "should" taste like. Pink is just a freakin' color. Look for quality in your glass. But use your palate, not your eyes.

And keep drinking pink!

Jeff Morgan
Co-owner, SoloRosa Wines
Rose Avenger
Napa Valley