Friday, August 10, 2007

2002 Museum Royale Crianza and 2001 Museum Real Reserva

Please post your own experiences with either of these wines in the "comments" section below (or any of the other wines listed on this site). I welcome hearing what others out there have to say.

2002
Museum Royale
Crianza
Spain

2001
Museum Real
Reserva
Cigales
Spain

(See reviews at end below)

SOLITARY

A photo capturing
A sorta feeling
Leaves gone, stark black in the foreground
Backdrop to
Gray skies, white earth, blinding snow
Boughs bend to the point of breaking
Fighting alone under the weight of wind

A life living
A sorta feeling
Comes and goes, right or wrong, confusing foreground
Backdrop to
A long history
Heart bends to the point of breaking
Fighting alone under the weight of need

I am acutely aware that whomever is visiting this site is looking just for a quick review for a particular wine and to move on. I appreciate your misery as you sift through my poetic rantings that haunt me until I write them down. If you wish to be on your way, skip to the bottom of this intro to find the quick rating scale for each of the above wines - which are by the way, both very good.

I need to start with my dinner last night at my favorite restaurant. Unfortunately, it was an "off" night mealwise, but I was introduced to a good Spanish wine that lead me today to a fine Spanish wine. It is the 2002 Museum Royale that I had last night. Although I have the name and vintage, as well as the taste, I have no more info. I was unable to find much further info in the last 24 hours. On my way home from work however, I did find the better 2001 Museum Real. Both of these wines have a fabulous finish, with the 2002 Museum Royale being more light bodied, similar to a Pinot Noir but more flavorful. The 2001 Museum Real was more full and had a finish that, for me, was slightly reminiscent of my favorite 1993 Clos du Bois Merlot. I know many people are not fond of "oakiness", but I do tend to gravitate toward it. The 2001 had a smokey oak to it with vanilla and coffee-like spice. Both the 2001 and 2002 had an interesting bouquet that I can't quite explain other than it was different for me. The taste did not really match the bouquet.

I had Paella last night (for a whopping $35 - if The Guy reads this I hope he didn't hurt himself too much when he hit the floor) and couldn't wait to pair a fine Spanish wine with it. I was actually hoping to try an Alberino but the Spanish red was recommended. I had a few sips prior to my entree and totally enjoyed the wine. My wicked expensive paella I believe was overloaded with saffron and the flavor was compensated. I had mussels, clams, scallops, shrimp and sausage and all of the shellfish tasted like they had been soaked in Ivory soap. The flavor of the wine was ruined by this unpleasant experience, and the soapiness to the meal was accentuated by the wine. I am lucky to have had the wine on its own first so that I knew it would be worth finding to have again.

I enjoyed the 2001 Museum Real tonight totally without food. It stands alone nicely.

My guess is the 2002 Museum Royale sells for around $15 a bottle (the restaurant charged $10 / glass).

2002
Museum Royale
Crianza
8 out of 10

2001
Museum Real Reserva
Cigales, Spain
Tempranillo vines
14% alc. by vol.
$20.99 / bottle
8.5 out of 10


No comments: