Friday, August 24, 2007

Sebastiani Merlot

2002
Sonoma County
California

First, thank you to "PasaRobles" for your comments and personal experience. Your wine worthy recommendations are noted. But I must say that the wine pricing is NOT the same - $10.99-$13.99 for a 1.5 L bottle - almost double the amount of wine for at least $6 less per bottle. So if it is a budget constraint, Yellowtail probably isn't that bad for the buck.

I might actually try the Chenin Blanc when I have fresh scallops next week.


There it is!!! I saw it! "Spike's Sexiest Bartenders" being advertised on my site by Google - not by me. I tried to visit Spike's and leave my comments but couldn't. I want to know where the hell the male bartenders are.


Whose Opportunity?

Renovations, BMWs, reservations at dining establishments so fine,
Darfur, Somalia, AIDs, orphans, no clean water supply.
Electricity run amuck, closets full of clothes, clean water flowing freely to beautify the lawn.
Amidst violence, oppression, hatred and the list goes on,
barefoot women and children walk for miles to reach a bacteria-filled water hole.
Helpless elders watch their offspring of blank stares and protruding empty bellies,
feeling far beyond shocked to either cry or console.
A well-meaning friend tells me "There's nothing you can do. You're born where you're born, get over it and move on."
In some ways she's right - feeling bad's not good enough in this messed up world of extremes gone wrong.
Blackberries, flat screen TVs, rooms full of toys, everything bigger, better, faster is the norm it seems,
Half a world away from both, drinking Sebastiani by candlelight, children safely within reach, and a roof over their heads, I am fortunate enough to know not either extreme.

Nice wine. As a merlot lover, it was very welcome for a change. Beautiful, velvety deep crimson color - you can see the warmth - makes me want to wrap myself in it and go to sleep. Cherry, dark chocolate, smoked mushroom-earthy taste with spicy heat. Long finish. This would probably be fabulous with a beef dish or stew. I enjoyed it with my pen and paper only.

8.5 out of 10
$16.99 / 750 ml bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.
http://www.sebastiani.com/

No comments: