Friday, August 17, 2007

Tegernseerhof Rose

2006
Zweigelt
Austria

Before I review this Rose, I must let Mr. Jeff Morgan, co-owner of Solo-Rosa wines (http://www.solorosawines.com/) know that I appreciate your comments to my post. Thank you for the education. And, no, I unfortunately do not know what it's like to try to make a living as a winemaker, though I would be happy to trade in my crappy job for the opportunity. That said, don't be too hard on me as I was venturing out of the norm to try to overcome my preconceived notions of Rose so I am actually to be commended. I enjoyed the WE article and it was specifically the piece on you and your Solo-Rosa Wines and your Rose Avengers and Producers (http://www.rapwine.com/) that intrigued me enough to venture out. Now that I have two Roses under my belt, I will definiftely look forward to tasting your SoloRosa Syrah Rose even though it is a bit beyond my normal budget. I will make it a once-a-month category purchase.

I will admit that, for me, it is the color that makes it difficult to not pre-judge based on the very few past experiences with (albeit cheap) Rose. I shut my eyes and tried ever so hard to use my other senses when tasting last night's Turkey Flat and tonight's Tegernseerhof. I think I did a fairly good job but I am sure the color still messed me up a bit. I will continue to work on that issue.

Tonight I appreciate last night's Turkey Flat even more. It has a more distinguished flavor than the Tegernseerhof, and a better finish. The Tegernseerhof was much more fruity and light for my taste though I am sure there's a food pairing out there somewhere that it will work well with (I had it with cold Chinese sesame noodles). In hindsight, maybe I was a bit harsh on judging the higher price paid for the Turkey Flat.

I will probably purchase Turkey Flat again as I thought it might accompany grilled salmon well. I will most likely not purchase Tegernseerhof again. I will purchase SoloRosa Syrah Rose Russian River Valley 2006 in the near future and will definintely review it here.

7.0 out of 10
$12.99 / 750 ml
12.5% alc. by vol.
http://www.kwselection.com/

2 comments:

PasaRoblesCab said...

Glad to see you sparked some attention. Especially from a vineyard owner. I read religiously and dont ever comment, even after quiet contemplation, or hysterical laughter. Keep up the good work it is always fun to have something GOOD to read each day.

Jeff Morgan said...

Dear Merlotsoul--

Thanks for the response. First, I'd like to say you can always quit your "crappy job" and come work in the wine industry. Most of us did something else (that we were unsatisfied with) before we came out here. Think about it....

Next, I'm glad you are going to try the SoloRosa Syrah rose....If you can find all of our pink wines, that would be a really interesting tasting for you. The CA (at $15), Pinot Noir rose ($18) and the Syrah ($28)...You might find you like the $15 one the best. However, I suspect if you like Turkey Flat, which I have found to be quite lush and rich, for a rose....you'll probably like our Syrah rose the best also. Still, you never know.

I look forward to reading your future musings and hearing about your experiences w/SoloRosa.

Best wishes,

Jeff
(aka, Mr. Pink)