Monday, August 27, 2007

Red

2004
Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Zinfandel BLEND
Sonoma County

Would buy again.

I absolutely love a good blend. For the skinny on the wine skip below to the end.

So, my friends, The Guy thinks my poetry sucks and I should take it the hell off of here (OK, maybe he didn't say it "sucked", but he told me to find a new home for it - like Chez Nathalie). Here's my response to that:

The highlight: from Brady to Donte, a 37 yard bomb!
Jarvis blocks another Kasay field goal, and the crowd is not calm.
Final points reign as the Patriots-Panthers game is scored,
And Evans takes Cassel's handoff and rumbles in from the 2.
Had I watched, my excitement probably could not be contained - how was it for you?
Cassel bobbles the snap, snatching it out of the air and gets it to Evans who continues the play,
And the poor Panthers succumbed to the Patriots last Friday.
Yes, friends, the Panthers were indeed dead,
But I'm, like totally, over it as I partake in a glass or two of "Red".

(Excerpts adpated from: http://patriots.scout.com/2/672316.html)

Put that under your Patriots hat which (still) needs to be washed. Ha!

OK, wine review:

I like this wine. I was a little hesitant at first, but liked it even more with a strange combo of pseudo lame leftovers. Mashed parmesean potatoes, grilled turkey burgers, and Romaine, celery and tomato salad (with Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing). I was completely shocked that it actually tasted great and different following each separate otherwise blase forkful.

The initial bouquet was of dry, tart rasberry. The color was a beautiful deep burgundy. The first taste was dry, followed by rasberry, then a little bitter, then a nice new saddle taste. (I can't remember the last time I ate a good saddle.) I guess it was a kind of leather taste I'm trying to explain.

Enter, a bite of mashed potatoes. A sip of Red. Vanilla hits the tongue! Then slowly dissipates. A bite of salad (with red wine? - yuck!) and a wonderful cream-of-mushroom beef burgundy flavor hits. Really, really fun. Very versatile wine.

I took the liberty of posting it on my last entry below ("The 3rd Bottle" from earlier today) as one of the recommended "stock" wines.

8.25 out of 10 (for its ability to food pair with less than exemplary dish flair)
$12.99 / bottle
http://www.stfrancisred.com/

1 comment:

hrchick said...

Merlotsoul:

Don't you dare let the guy talk you into moving your poetry off of this site. I guarantee you will lose readers if you do. The wine reviews are interesting and helpful but the poetry is outstanding and makes it all the more interesting. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Tell him to stick to football!!!

hrchick