Friday, August 31, 2007

Los Cardos 2006 Malbec

Malbec
Dona Paula
2006
Argentina

Will drink again.

Thank you, HRChick for your comments - you wouldn't be biased would you? :)


Contradiction. That's what the word of the day seems to be - and my life today has played out that way:

After a very stressful week, and financial disarray, I debated spending any money at all on a bottle of wine. As I am having a family gathering tomorrow, I knew I had to buy something at least for then. I decided to just see what there was and go with the flow. My little one has turned six, and we are celebrating her birthday. But my mother-in-law just lost her mother (Great Granny Dot) this morning following a very brief illness.

I am grilling chicken kabobs for lunch tomorrow and am excited about a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc that was wicked cheap. I will report on that at some point this weekend. For myself this evening, I considered purchasing the very cheap "Yellowtail Shiraz" because it tastes halfway decent and I have no money, yet I haven't enjoyed any wine since Monday, I'm feeling the stress of the week, and, I need something new to review. I chose Los Cardos.

"Los Cardos" means "the thistles" - flowers known for their intense, surprisingly vivid color and their sharp thorns. A contradiction. Like this week for me. My children returning to school - new teachers, new schedules. The promise of a set routine at the cost of initial chaos and uncertainty. My work schedule has returned to "normal" hours following a summer schedule of going in early, but leaving early to be home with my children for the last half of the day. Now I'm back to 5:00 p.m. yet there is some comfort in a set routine. My children are busy and working during the day like me. Yet we meet again for dinner and each discuss the highlights, and lowlights, of our day. The topic tonight turned from birthdays to death.

Great Granny Dot. She lived her life the way she wanted. She didn't care what anyone else thought. She did what made her happy. She was strong in her conviction. An admirable trait indeed. Something I've been unable to do, yet long to do. So, as my youngest turns six and we celebrate her life just beginning, we remember Dot, and remember her life as it comes to an end.
I teach our children that death is not to be feared. It is a relief to pain, a relief to suffering. It is not an end, but a new beginning. Life is amazing. Death being a part of that life. Life is indeed a gift. But there is a whole universe out there and behind it a supreme being to be met in awe. Life is a part of so much more that is all interconnected, I can feel it.

Life and Death. Do not fear the prickly flower, and its sharp thorns. Beyond them an intense, beautiful, lively color awaits.

The wine: Rich, smooth and a deep velvet hue. A nice balanced bouquet of contradiction. Herb meets berry. Hint of vanilla intermingled with subtle spice. A tiny bit of sweet, a tiny bit of acid. Mild yet pungent.

8.25 out of 10
14% alc. by vol.
$11.99 / bottle

Lujan de Cuyo

Mendoza, Argentina
http://www.donapaula.com.ar/




1 comment:

PasaRoblesCab said...

NEVER,ever,ever put yourself last. If you spent the 15 for a decent bottle to enjoy,thought in a positive manner, the 15 would come back to you 10 fold. Enjoy your wine, enjoy what you love and dont cut yourslef short. By the way I am sitting here enjoying Jan Kris Crossfire 04. A Pasa Robles blend of course