Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cuisine Effects on Drylands, Tegernseerhof and Turkey Flat


Con pan y vino se anda el camino [With bread and wine you can walk your road].

Anonymous: Spanish Proverb


Although all of the above wines have previously been reviewed, I wanted to comment briefly on their flavor with dinner this evening. I grilled some Alaskan Sablefish (if you're not familiar with this fish, it's sometimes called "Black Cod" but it's not really a Cod)http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=fishpage&group=Sablefish . I marinated it a bit in Sesame Oil and fresh minced ginger root. I grilled yellow and green squash and sauteed Shitakes in Sesame Oil and fresh minced ginger as well.

The first wine I revisited was the Drylands Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - it was excellent with the meal, especially following a bite of the fish. I then revisited the Tegernseerhof Rose which I enjoyed much more tonight with this food combo than I did the first night I had it. It's sweetness became more dry and more enjoyable with both the vegetables and the fish - it was good. Finally, I revisited the Turkey Flat Rose which lost it's distinct flavor with the fish and vegetables. But, interestingly enough, an immediate "grilled" flavor burst forth following a sip of the Turkey Flat which was sort of fun to experience.

No comments: