Monday, August 27, 2007

The Third Bottle

Red Table Wine
St. Helena, California

There is a tavern in the town,
And there my true love sits him down,
And drinks his wine with laughter and with glee,
And never, never thinks of me.

Anonymous

Would buy again.

This is a really good, basic red wine to have on hand. It would probably accompany most things well. I had it with organic bowtie pasta, olive oil, crushed tomatoes with roasted garlic and turkey meatballs, parmesean and whole green beans, and a crusty Tuscan Boule. I actually enjoyed the wine's flavor more on its own prior to eating. The alcohol came out with the meal. (And what is up with wines having higher and higher alcohol content? I don't like to sacrifice taste for more oomph. If I want oomph I'll shoot Jose Cuervo 1800.) The intial taste for me had slight vanilla followed by a very so slight smokey earthiness. It reminded me very much of "Old Vine Red Lot Number Forty-Two" which I previously reviewed at 8 out of 10. The Guy said it reminded him a lot of Martin Ray's Red (the little jug we previously reviewed though I failed to assign a number to - I would give it also an 8 out of 10).

Looking back, I would recommend the following to stock up on:

Cheap ($10.99 and below):
Yellowtail Shiraz 2006
Old Vine Red Lot Number Forty-Two (if you can still get it)
Luna di Luna Chardonnay Pinot Grigio 2005

Not as Cheap, but Reasonable ($10.99 - $15)
Red 2004 (St. Francis Winery)
The 3rd Bottle
Red 2002 (Martin Ray Winery jug)
Museum Royale Crianza (Spain) 2002
Yalumba Barossa Shiraz, 2004
Duck Pond Syrah 2003
Clos de los Siete (Argentina) 2005

More Expensive - but worth a special evening ($20 - $25)
Museum Real Reserva Cigales (Spain) 2001
Yangarra Vineyard Shiraz 2004


8 out of 10
13.8% alc. by vol.
$13.99
http://www.gustavothrace.com/

2 comments:

PasaRoblesCab said...

Try the white version of this wine. Very good all around white wine. I thouroughly enjoyed the bottle with nothing to eat to start then added garlic, E.V olive oil with fresh basil Pizza, cooked on the gas grill. What a compliment. Give it a shot. Me, a big red fan really enjoyed the white.

PasaRoblesCab said...

Try the white version of this wine. Very good all around white wine. I thouroughly enjoyed the bottle with nothing to eat to start then added garlic, E.V olive oil with fresh basil Pizza, cooked on the gas grill. What a compliment. Give it a shot. Me, a big red fan really enjoyed the white.