Saturday, March 29, 2008

Windsor Vineyards Merlot

2005
Merlot
Sonoma County, California

Would definitely drink again, and again, and again.

I have to say I love this Merlot. I knew I was going to like it by its scent alone - it was an earthiness - but not a "damp" earthiness or musty earthiness like I get from some French reds. It was more of a woodsey-earth with a hint of smoke. Although it immediately reminded me of a higher-end Barossa red, it's very distinct at the same time - I feel like I could pick it out in a blind taste-test.

Overall tasting notes: woodsey, earthy, smoked. slight vanilla and a bit "slick " (oil-mineralness) on the finish. The finish isn't very long, but it's not too quick either. Though it's higher alcohol than I prefer, it doesn't taste it. So it's dangerous. It sneaks up on you.

I have always found that Merlot accompanies garlic dishes very well. If you've marinated a steak with lots of garlic and then throw it on the grill and serve a medium to heavy bodied Merlot, your pairing is golden. If you make a creamy pasta dish like Fettuccine Alfredo, but throw in lots of garlic in the sauce and serve Merlot, you're still going to have a nice pairing. This wine was great on it's own, but it's flavor was accentuated with my very-garlic-y pizza.






8.75 out of 10


14.8% alc. by vol.
Approximately $25 / 750 ml bottle
www.windsorvineyards.com

No comments: