Sunday, March 23, 2008

Silverado


2004
Cabernet Sauvignon
Napa Valley, CA
(Stag's Leap District)

First: Thank you to "Morgan" for the post giving me a head's up on the "Red Truck" changeover. I will be interested to see what comes of it. I am a fan in general of "Cline" wines - especially the ancient vine zin.

Blend: 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Cabernet Franc

Would definitely drink again - though not in the budget.

This was a gift from my boss so it wasn't in my usual price range. He gave it to me in December and I saved it for a special occasion. I decided to share it with my mom and stepdad and grandmother over Easter dinner. My mother made my grandmother's Yankee Pot Roast and it seemed as good a time as any.

I loved the scent right away - it had an oak and earth scent that drew me in. The flavor was probably more of a black cherry mixed with oak, earth and licorice or eucalyptus. The finish was smooth and lingering. It accompanied the pot roast very nicely. BUT - once again - the age-old question. Is a more expensive wine bound to be better than a less expensive one? I believe, in most cases, no. My mom and I really enjoyed this wine - in fact we all did. But, as my mom and I discussed, I wouldn't spend $45 myself to experience it again. There are many equally tasty wines for $20 and under.

And the song of the day in my head (one of my all-time FAVORITES):

How many special people change?
How many lives are living strange? . . .
Someday you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky

Champagne Supernova, OASIS

8.5 out of 10
14.5% alc. by vol.
$45 / 750 ml bottle
www.silveradovineyards.com

No comments: