Sunday, March 9, 2008

Solaris Cabernet Sauvignon


2005
California

Probably will not be drinking again.

As I sit here drinking Kahlua and Hot Chocolate following a day out in the cold gathering fire wood with my chillen', I am thinking of this disappointing wine to blog about. I only find it motivating to blog following a good wine experience. But, you need to know the bad with the good if you're considering buying anything reviewed here. So, I shall plod on - though I think I already gave you what you need to know.

Was it really bad? No, just not interesting. And there are so many better wines in the same price range available. However, different people do have different taste buds so you may like it yourself. I just wouldn't pay for a whole bottle - try it at a friend's or by the glass at a restaurant. It actually did take on some interesting characteristics following different food. I made oat-flax pita bread mini pizza for lunch with organic oregano, chopped olives and fresh mozarella. I had a small glass of the Solaris with it and the wine took on more of an herb and earth flavor than fruit. Then I had a piece of cold pumpkin pie and had another sip - the wine tasted exactly like cherry coke. Strange but fun. Overall, there's not much flavor midway through a sip and not much finish.

A bit common
A bit dry
Then nothing to draw me in
Oak here and cherry there
Followed by a disapppinting sigh
It's nothing like the 2003 Solaris Zin

7.5 out of 10
$9.99 / 750 ml. bottle
13.6% alc. by vol.

No comments: