Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cline Zinfandel



2006
Sonoma, California

First of all, I'd like to thank PasaRoblesCab for his contributions the last couple of nights. And I'd like to add to his comments on realizing that not everybody knows what it's like to taste fresh currants from a garden and how the $100 wine tasted just as good as the $30 wine, etc.

It's true that not everyone is afforded such opportunity. I've always wondered what a fresh currant tasted like - I hear it so often described in wine tasting. Yet, I loved hearing PasaRoblesCab's endearing memory with his grandmother's garden and how one night of wine tasting brought him back all those years. I do love to hear and learn about others' interpretations and experiences with wine. There is no right or wrong. We all have different tastes and likes and dislikes. What one person loves, another maybe can't stand. I don't believe that's a reason for someone to hold back describing their own experience because they feel they might offend someone who has never experienced the same thing. The wine world is all about differing experiences. And, also as PasaRoblesCab pointed out, there is something to be said for "Yeah, I really liked that wine - I don't know why, I just did." You don't have to taste this specific thing or that particular flavor. And, laying down $100 or more does not guarantee a "better' wine experience. It is all about whether or not you enjoyed it and would recommend someone else try it no matter what the price. Actually, I would say it is more beneficial to hear someone recommend a $11 wine than a $100 wine as I almot expect the more I pay the better it should be. So, when I hear a $11 bottle was fabulous, I feel I've been given valuable information. And, if I've been told a $50 wine was "OK", I know to stay away.

Onto the Cline Zinfandel - not ancient vine mind you.

The Guy brought this home last night and opened it prior to dinner. Meanwhile, I had planned dinner around a bottle of Dynamite Chardonnay I've had that I've wanted to try. So, I was stuck. It was so COLD, and it was snowing, and all I felt like was red wine. Yet, I wantd to taste-test the Chardonnay and I had thought all day about what home-made Friday night pizza I was going to do to accompany it. I'd settled on shrimp pizza made with jumbo shrimp, ricotta, fresh garlic, parmesean, and mozarella with basil leaves.

Well, I had a full glass of the Cline prior to dinner and while I was cooking, and it was good. It just wasn't as good as the Ancient Vine zin. It had nice berry flavor up front and finished with vanilla oak (which I normally like), but it also thinned out a bit in the finish and tasted slightly grape juice like. Overall, I would say it was worth the sale price. I did move on to the Dynamite Vineyards Chardonnay with my dinner. I will review that tomorrow.

Look at me
I'm in a place
I never thought I'd be
Don't have the strength
To fight anymore
Or a reason not to leave
So tell me why I still keep holding on
To something I just cannot see
What makes you stay
When your world falls apart
What makes you try one more time
When it's not in your heart
At the end of your rope
When you can't find any hope

Deana Carter, What Makes You Stay

7.75 out of 10
$11.99 on sale for $9.99 / 750 ml. bottle
14.0% alc. by vol
http://www.clinecellars.com/

No comments: