Friday, April 18, 2008

Redtree Petite Sirah


2005
Sonoma County

Cali-for-NYE-AYE

This medium-bodied red was dirt cheap. But I felt it tasted more expensive than it's price tag. With a heated granite and cherry scent, this wine was superb with takeout Roast Pork Lo Mein (it brought out the garlic) and my cold sesame noodles (it brought out the spice and sesame flavor) and, especially, with dark chocolate Devil's Food cake (but not the frosting!). It was nicely balanced. The finish was lighter than I like normally, but enjoyable, with slight pepper. Following just the cake part of the cake, it took on a perfume-like flowery flavor that I liked (because it was different). Interestingly enough, when the home-made chocolate frosting and fresh strawberries were added to the cake, the wine's flavor was completely drowned out. There was NO taste. Weird, but interesting.

There are things of which I may not speak;
There are dreams that cannot die;
There are thoughts that make the strong heart weak,
And bring a pallor into the cheek,
And a mist before the eye.
-
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow / "My Lost Youth"

7.75 out of 10
$7.99 / 750 ml. bottle
12.5% alc. by vol

No comments: