Tuesday, April 29, 2008

High Note Malbec


2007
Malbec
Mendoza, Argentina

Thank you so much to The Bro (who thinks that is such a DORKY name! I know only too well, "Bro", as The Gal was hard for me to swallow too - The Guy is the only one who can wear the cool black shades) and to Marc for your posts. I know The Bro has been telling me about the Don David Malbec for a couple of weeks so I am on a quest to find it and review it. I was really happy to read Marc's opinion of the Monte Antico and glad he found it just as good a deal as myself. And thank you, Marc, for stating your enjoyment of my little blog here. I really appreciate feedback. :)

This was a fairly smooth, blackberry-flavored, decent wine. It was a beautiful dark velvet purple color when poured and smelled richly of blackberry and earth. It had a fairly long finish that was pretty good. It lost some of its flavor when food was introduced, but came back once the meal was over and I had a glass later. So I'd recommend having it alone or find a better food pairing. (I made fresh fettucine with roasted garlic tomato sauce, turkey meatballs, and sauteed spinach with olive oil and garlic - I think it was most likely the garlic that overpowered the wine - personally I find Merlots to be a great match with garlic dishes, but perhaps not a Malbec.)

I have to say, this was $12.99 and wasn't bad for the price, but I think the previous wine, the Tuscan rated below, was a much better buy. (Now that probably would have accompanied the fettucine menu nicely!)

Anyway, give it a try and let me know what YOU think.



Tonight's ramblings are a couple of verses from one of my favorite songs as a young naive girl picking the petals off flowers saying "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not". Grown up life is so very much different than what I'd ever imagined. (I'd imagined grown up life to be much wonderfully simpler). Every time I hear this song it makes me cry. I crank it up, belt it out at the top of my lungs (usually only in my car when I'm alone), and let the tears streak my face. I'm such a sap!

Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup.
Drink it up.
Love her and she'll bring you luck.
And if you find she helps your mind, better take her home.
Don't you live alone.
Try to earn what lovers own.

And even though we ain't got money,
I'm so in love with you, honey,
And everything will bring a chain of love.
And in the morning, when I rise,
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright.

-Loggins & Messina / Danny's Song






7.75 out of 10

$12.99 / 750 ml.
13.7% alc. by vol.
www.highnotewine.com

(Posted by The Gal on The Guy's log-in)

No comments: