Sunday, April 27, 2008

Monte Antico Sangiovese Blend


2004
85% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon,
5% Merlot
Tuscany, Italy


I will drink again.


I really enjoyed this wine for the price. It was awesome with a fresh garlic, black olive, ricotta, chicken and spinach pizza. I did not enjoy it as much on it's own - so I recommend it with food (pasta, cheese, or pizza). With flavors of oak and slight vanilla, this full-bodied wine tasted also of cherries. There was a slight finish, but it dissipated too quickly.


I have had a couple of decent Sangiovese wines now. I am looking forward to trying many more different Italian wines.

Am I still breathing;
Does my heart still beat?
I feel I'm suffocating
While everyone watches
Ah! There it is
My heart, pounding in my ears
My blood pulsates
My head pounds, with every beat
I've been reduced to deletion








8.0 out of 10
$10.99 / 750 bottle
12.5% alc. by vol.



2 comments:

The Bro said...

Hey this is "the bro" i dont normally call my self that but, I guess thats my handle on "the siss's" site.
Haven't tried the Sangiovese blend but do frequently drink foreign wines. My latest are:
The 2003 Palazzo Della Torre, A dry red out of the Veronese Valley bottled by the Allegrini estate in Northeast Italy and west of Venice along the Adige River. This wine is pretty good buy itself and excellent with any tomato sauce pasta dish and not only would I buy it again...I did and am drinking it right now...with nothing...at 15.99 a bottle its a steal. The first sip is very acidic but the finish carries long, The red sauce pasta takes the acidity away and leaves a mellow long finish, light on the toungue. I love bold reds and this is not but an excellent change from the ordinary.
The 2005 Don David Malbec Reserve out of the Cafayete Valley in the Northwest of Argentina. Located 5500 feet above sea level the vines benefit from the very clean Andean air, the conflict of warm sunny days and extra cool nights allow the grapes to reach perfect maturity while retaining a vivid fruit flavor. A truly unique wine and well priced too, again 15.99 a bottle.
Well thats 2 of my latest tries and "The Siss" should be satisfied, she's been asking me to comment for months. Peace Out from upstate NY.

Marc Berg said...

Just opened a bottle tonight, bought at the good old "Plaza Liquor" here in Tucson AZ. I agree with the review. A lots of fruit to start, a little 'alcoholy' on the tongue for a second. The finish is long (several seconds) and maybe a little bitter at the end.

It went well with the Chicken Tikka Marsalla we had (spicy) but may have been a little overpowered. Pasta may be a better pairing.

At $10/bottle, very drinkable and interesting for the price. Has a place on our table.

Love the blog.