Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hopkins Vineyard Cabernet Franc


2003
Litchfield, CT


I can't believe I haven't posted in over a week and now today I'm posting twice. I've been tasting wines but haven't had much time. I also have a Gwerztraminer to review here and I will be enjoying a French Syrah tonight. Hopefully I will get those posted in the next couple of days.

The Guy and I taste-tested this Cabernet Franc at a wine and bread tasting event last week. We both enjoyed this very much. When I was on-line looking for a label to insert above, I read a review by a guy who is always in search of a decent Connecticut Vineyard red. He's been to many vineyards in the United States, and especially loves the pastoral settings and wines of Paso Robles wineries. He was very impressed with Hopkins Vineyard and said it reminded him a lot of the Paso Robles settings. He enjoyed all of the whites, but said he was completely disappointed with this red.

I found it to be medium to full bodied, lighter on the fruit and spice than I usually prefer, but there was a real nice earthy finish that I liked very much. I recommend it. The Vineyard recommends it be served with any of the following: grilled lamb chops, braised short ribs, flank steak, blue cheese, or French Onion Soup.

"Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy."
--- Alexander Fleming (1881-1955)

8.0 out of 10
$17.95 / 750 ml bottle
http://www.hopkinsvineyard.com/

No comments: