Friday, November 2, 2007

Coppo Barbera D'Asti 2003 and Chateau Lauriol 2003



Double whammy tonight. I only have a picture of the French (at right). The review follows the Italian wine review.

Dormers, cedar shingles, stone walls, warm wood intermingled with white paint.
How I wish it could be mine.
It stands empty, windows exposed, curtainless.

Simple yet classic, it still calls to me - I dream it's willing to wait.
The day I find it occupied.
I know my heart will break.

Another place, another time.
I try to keep the faith,
and enjoy my wine.



Coppo Barbera D'Asti Pomorosso
2003
Piedmont, Italy

Might drink again.

The Italian. I have no photo of this wine as I had it tonight in town at a restaurant. The bouquet was heady and earthy and I thought it would be fabulous. It was good initially and then weakened (on its own). Following a bite of potato gnocci with roasted chicken, the wine's flavor seemed to strengthen. I did enjoy it in the end. But it was still slightly weaker than it's smell.

I have no other specifics on this wine other than the name and region. I did not see the bottle. If the pricing I found on-line is accurate, it is not worth the price.

7.75 out of 10
$62.99 / 750 ml bottle (So not worth the price if this is accurate)

2nd Review:

Chateau Lauriol
2003
Bordeaux Cotes de France

Won't drink again, but not really all that bad.

The French. This wine was, as The Guy noted right off the bat, "chalky". The dryness was right there and it left a Kaopectate feeling in the mouth. Not exactly enjoyable. I did not find it as offensive as The Guy did. It's bouquet was slightly earthy and fruity. I thought it would be wonderful. The first taste immediately started with the chalkiness, but it diminished with a slight cherry finish. Just not enough to keep me interested.

7.25 out of 10
$9.99 / 750 ml bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.




No comments: