Saturday, September 15, 2007

Wild Horse 2004 Chardonnay

2004
Chardonnay
Central Coast, CA

Will drink again.

Tonight was supposed to be a night of Zin. Instead it became a night of sin. This purchase changed my menu to a sinfully creamy, Fettucine Alfredo with fresh parsley and a fresh block of parmesean and fresh green beans sauteed in olive oil and garlic (only because the back of the wine bottle suggested a "cream-based pasta dish"). In addition, we had "Bantam Bread's" Traditional Peasant bread. This wine was a great choice to accompany the whole meal.

Initial scent was of citrusy-apple. The initial part of the first taste was sour apple - then sweet pear, followed by oak and creamy vanilla on the finish, perhaps a "mineral" taste as well - does anyone know what that means? Because I don't. I read it on other blogs all the time but I have no idea what that means. Tonight's wine was "soft and velvety" on the finish with almost an "oily" feel - but not in a bad sense, it was good. So I wonder if what I sensed was "mineral" or am I way off base?? Responses really welcome.

Please skip below for just the wine particulars in bold if you're not interested in the story behind my purchase decision.

I went to buy Micheal-David Vineyard's "7 Deadly Zins" Zinfandel and was going to have it with kabobs. I did buy it, but I allowed my eldest daughter to convince me to have something else tonight, thereby also changing my menu.

She has waited patiently over a year and a half to return to horseback riding and I found a "reasonable" (that does mean cheaper) farm and she happily had her first day today. I picked her up after the lesson and we went to the wine shop. Surprisingly, they no longer had "7 Deadly Zins" though I have passed it by many a time after picking it up and considering it several times. So we went to another wine shop.

Now, I have had struggles lately with my beautiful daughter who is testing her independence a bit and dabbling in . . . the dark side. She wears black, she likes all things "Goth", she listens to eery, gloomy music, she wears skulls and crossbones (though they do have a pink bow on the top of their bald skull), she doesn't like "sunshine" (she apparently thinks she's a vampire), she checks horror books out of the library (hey I'm just trying to keep her interested in reading), and she thinks witches are cool. Oh! And her favorite holiday is no longer Christmas, it's . . . anyone want to guess? HALLOWEEN. Which is why she was so thrilled to hear that the first wine shop only stocks 7 Deadly Sins around Halloween.

In spite of being on a tight budget, I got her back into horseback riding to try to give her a "healthy" outlet. I thought she'd be with "natural" girls and get back to nature and blue skies and sunshine. We get there this morning and the first girl I see has bleached blonde short spikey hair with black roots and wall studs mounted through her ears. I thought "If she bonds with anyone, it will be this girl." Then I told myself to not be negative. When I picked her up she told me about this wonderful girl named "Hannah" (name changed to protect her identity but it was a nice feminine name like that). She told me Hannah is almost 14 years old and likes punk rock and Goth. Oh! you guessed it! The blonde girl with nail studs.

OK, what's the point of this rambling? My daughter was totally excited to learn we were looking for a wine called "7 deadly Zins". She was so helpful I couldn't believe it. She found it in the second store within milliseconds, right after she found Bogle Vineyards' "Phantom" (which I actually hope to try next week - it only comes out once a year). Anyway, while I was debating whether to try Phantom this week or take home Michael-David's 7 deadly Zins, my Goth girl came up to me with a bright, cheery Chardonnay which happened to have a beautiful white horse running across the label. She insisted I buy it and also that I read the back which describes an "elegant, fruit-driven Chardonnay". She thought it would be good for dinner tonight. And the label . . . Wild Horse. Yes! She's still there under all that negativity and macabre. I had to buy the "sunny" wine for my wild horse. And I am so glad I did as it was the right choice.

8.25 out of 10
$15.99 / 750 ml bottle
13.9% alc. by vol.
http://www.wildhorsewinery.com/

No comments: