Thursday, September 13, 2007

Parallele 45

2005
Cotes du Rhone
France

"Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives. Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death. When not treated with reasonable respect it will sicken and die."

Julia Child

I am forever in search of a French red to rock my world (albeit on the cheaper side). But I didn't find it, yet again. One of the guys at work told me "You can't go wrong with a 'Parellele 45' ". I don't know if it's just me or what. But this was disappointing. It's bouquet was very earthy - which I love (The Guy said it smelled more to him like someone's feet and then he launched into this whole thing on Europeans tending to not bathe very often and what if someone's unbathed feet were used to press the grapes, etc. Please, no offense if you're European and reading this - take it with a grain of salt. I myself don't agree). It also smelled a bit like Kalamata olives (another of my food loves). So I thought I was headed in the right direction. Initial mouthful was of Brie (again another preferred food dish for me) and I thought, "Oh, this is good." But then it became suddenly weak, watery, and faded totally away. There was no distinct berry flavor for me. And not much of a finish. It was definitely dry - not enough berry sweetness for me, but heading into it, the Brie and earthy - olive combo got my hopes up in spite of not much full berry flavor.

7.0 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$11.99 / bottle (on sale from $13.99)
Paul Jaboulet Aine
La Roche de Glun, France

No comments: