Monday, September 17, 2007

The Little Penguin 2005 Merlot

2005
Merlot
South Eastern Australia


Will drink again. I'm continually pleased with the continent of Australia's ability to produce wine.

If you are looking for an easy, drinkable, slightly sweeter than dry red table wine, for less than $10, this wine is where it's at. It's on the lighter side, so I wouldn't serve it on a "serious" night, but it's highly drinkable and pleasant. It would go well I would think with either grilled chicken or pizza in general. I drank it alone (no food, and like George Thorogood too).

Interestingly enough, its bouquet was butter and sugar corn on the cob for me followed by a sweet cherry (think candied like Maraschino, not an all natural cherry). Although I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "breathing" thing, I found this wine slightly more enjoyable after it sat open in my glass for an hour by accident while I tucked little ones in to bed to dream of butterflies and flowers and hearts, and one bigger one in to bed - the gothic princess, to dream of Halloween.

Although it's on the lighter side, it still throws some heat and has a slight finish.

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached."

Franz Kafka


I didn't have any poem going in my head today. When that happens, I like to throw in a quote relating to wine or a quote somehow poignantly related to my thoughts for the day. Today was the latter. (You should see me walk to my car at the end of a work day - I literally have yellow sticky notes full of quotes, pieces of thoughts, or recommended wine labels all popping out of my purse, and usually falling to the ground like breadcrumbs for Hansel and Gretel.)

7.75 out of 10
$5.99 / 750 ml (but could pass for a $10 - 12 wine in my opinion)
13.0% alc. by vol.
http://www.thelittlepenguin.com/

1 comment:

PasaRoblesCab said...

I certainly agree with "the breathing thing. More noticeable with the darker blends of Zin and heavy Cabs, My theory is the wine has been bottled and corked to keep it in some sort of original state. As it comes in contact with ambient air it starts to react, just as bread does to moisture (mold). I thouroughly enjoyed a Pasa Robles Cab on Saturday from J.Lohr. a very heavy, warm, full Cab from Pasa Robles of course. On Sunday there was just enough left for a small glass because, as you, "I drink alone" I thought the aroma and taste was at least 50% better than the previous days. I wouldnt contribute it to my food pairings as on both days the food was scarce. I did however remember upon opening the bottle that the aroma was not as bold as I remembered previous bottles of this wine and after the preverbial swirl and sniff it seemed to open up. I am contiuning my quest to train my nose to find smells like you do, I am also trying to open up my imagination to find aromas that may not even be in there. Thanks for the reccomendations on the websites for tuning my senses and continue to post as I look forward to seeing your dailys, especially the poems.