Tuesday, September 18, 2007

337 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon

2005
Lodi
Cabernet Sauvignon

Would drink again.

Nice post from Pasa Robles, thank you so much for your "breathing" input.

This wine eluded me. My first reaction was too dry, not enough flavor and I don't want any more. The Guy then handed me the last of last night's the Little Penguin and told me to compare. I thought for sure the Little Penguin would taste wicked sweet in comparison, but it didn't. They almost tasted the same to me but I knew they were vastly different. I'm not sure why they tasted so similar (except for possibly the "breathing" effect on the Little Penguin), but it piqued my interest in having another sip.

I then ate some pizza I'd made of whole grain crust, awesme fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, Buffalo mozarella, parmesean, sauteed orange peppers and sauteed baby bella mushrooms (though the back of the bottle suggested it be served with "food acceptable at a Viking feast"). I had another sip of the 337 and it totally grew on me. It went from my wanting to "take it or leave it" to tasting like another glass was in order. I think The Guy liked 337 more than I did (he said he was going to report on it himself - we'll see), but it really improved from my original sip. Though drier than my usual likes, it was good and it accompanied the meal well. It smelled like chocolate and rasberry. It tasted a lot like it smelled with a dry earthiness worked in. Not a lasting finish, but drinkable just the same.

Do not yet see, that, if the single man plant himself indomitably on his instincts, and there abide, the huge world will come round to him.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7.75 out of 10
$12.99 / 750 ml.
14.5% alc. by vol.
California

No comments: