Friday, May 18, 2007

Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel

Was it you, or was it me?
I felt ugly, nervous - I needed to leave.
There was a wall I couldn't see.
I just want everything to again be so fine;
I long for cherry, chocolate and anise,
Give me Paso Robles wine.

2005
Appellation Series
Paso Robles

I think I've mentioned before that Uncle Bob introduced me first to Rosenblum Cellars on one of our fine Thanksgiving gatherings. I have revisited various Rosenblum Cellars labels a few times since, but never with that initial fondness. I caught another glimpse of it tonight. Of course, I did spend a little more to get it and that's not supposed to be the focus of this blog. But I so needed it! First, I must say, I was looking for something entirely different.

I was finally cooking again from my Wine Lover's Diet book (I misplaced the book for the last few weeks and found it this evening - can you believe it was on my little black, wrought iron cookbook shelf???). I made "Soy-Glazed Salmon" and it called for a Syrah (for recipe see www.cheznatalie.com but give me a couple more hours to post). I went in search of 2004 Chilean Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre Syrah (errr, again a little out of price range - but I needed it!!!). Wine Enthusiast gave it a "90". My other favorite wine connoisseur, my main brother David, very enthusiastically introduced The Guy and I to Casa Lapostolle last holiday season. I don't remember what vintage or specific label we had, but it was good. So when I saw it written up, I longed to have it with my salmon. My local shop didn't have it, though they can order it. That didn't help me tonight with my menu.

Eventually, I chose Rosenblum's Appellation Series tonight as it recommended blackened salmon as an accompaniment. Of course, my salmon was not blackened so I knew I was risking things. Although it was OK with dinner, I thoroughly enjoyed it on its own prior to. Initial bouquet was berry-like and earthy (earthy hooks me in every time). When I held it on the tongue (we are talking wine here) it felt warm and slightly sweet which I like (not too sweet, but sweeter than dry). The finish for me was very well balanced and held a long time.

7.75 out of 10

www.rosenblumcellars.com
Zinfandel
14.9% alc. by vol.
$18.99 / bottle

No comments: