Friday, May 11, 2007

Clos du Bois Zinfandel 2004

Clos du Bois
2004 Zinfandel
North Coast

Geyersville, CA
closdubois.com
$11.99 / bottle

Rating: Would most likely drink again with the right cuisine.
7 out of 10 (I hate my weak rating system but it's quick and best for now though I'm consuming way too many 7's)

Not bad on its own, just doesn't knock my socks off either though. A little on the dryer and bitter side for me, slightly more pepper yet enough fruit to make me take another sip. This wine would probably taste great with the right food pairing - the bottle recommends an Italian Sausage or Grilled Lamb Chop pairing (neither of which are currently part of my diet).


*California Wine Fact: Early California winemakers sent their children to study oenology at Geisenheim (Germany) or Bordeaux (France). Today, many European winemakers send their children to the University of California at Davis and to Fresno State University.

*(Taken from Kevin Zraly's "Windows On The World Complete Wine Course")

From the Clos du Bois website on their Zindfandel:

Zinfandel at its best is full-bodied and brimming with ripe raspberry and blackberry flavors, followed by a long, peppery finish. Fantastic with all sorts of foods - red-sauced pasta, roasted meats or pizza. Look for blackberry, raspberry, jam, black pepper, cherries, plum with notes of nutmeg, smoke, black tea and cloves.
[The Guy's Take]

I rate the Clos du Bois higher usually because it's the type of wine I enjoy either in a glass by itself for sipping on the porch or with a meal.

For this one I'm inclined to give it 8 out of 10

The legs on the Zin were a lot better than some of the other wine we've been trying.

No comments: