Monday, May 21, 2007

Los Vascos Reserve

"So I called up the captain,
'please bring me my wine'
and he said;
'we haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine' "
The Eagles
Hotel California (my all-time fav karaoke song - I especially love pleading that second line!)

Los Vascos
Cabarnet Sauvignon
Reserve
2004

I can't help but read this label without thinking of my brother David. "LOS VASCOS!!!!" he always says loudly and enthusiastically with a "Mehican" accent. And my girls laugh and laugh.
Very peppery and warm, hint of vanilla, wood and spice. A last hint of licorice as it goes down. More spice than I like, but a good wine overall. I think the balance is good. The finish is slightly disappointing after holding the first mouthful. Probably great served with steak. I had turkey meatballs so I can see where it might not have been as good as it could be due to my pairing it with poultry.

7.25 out of 10
www.pasternakwine.com
14.0% alc. by vol.
$16.99 / bottle

"The French Connection
(French Investment in Chile)

French Investor.................... Chilean Winery
Grand Marnier .............................. Casa Lapostolle
Domaines Lafite Rothschild.......... Los Vascos
Bruno Prats & Paul Pontalier .......Aquitania / Paul Bruno
William Fevre .................................Fevre
Chateau Larose-Trintaudon ........Casas del Toqui
Baron Philippe de Rothschild .......Concha y Toro
..........................................................(Vina Almaviva Puente Alto)

Other Foreign Investors in Chile Include:
Quintessa, California ....................Veramonte
Torres Winery, Spain ..................Miguel Torres Winery
Kendall-Jackson, California ........Vina Calina

No comments: