Saturday, July 28, 2007

Drylands Marlborough

2006
Sauvignon Blanc
New Zealand

Wine is bottled poetry.
Robert Louis Stevenson

OK. I bought this last week but I bought the 2004 vintage. I bought it because I know New Zealand is a "place to watch" for excellent wines over the next few years and I was looking for a good "white" experience. Additionally, according to the little tag under the wooden wine bin, it was given a Wine Spectator rating of 91 (or so I thought). However, I thought I was being so smart because I remember discovering that the vintage with the WS rating was not the vintage in the bin(that seems to occur a lot in various wine stores and it ticks me off - you really have to look closely). I knew the vintages were different, but I did not really pay attention to what exact year! DUH! So I went to the cooler to see if the "different" reviewed vintage was in the cooler. The vintage in the cooler was different than the one in the bin so I took it smugly thinking I outsmarted the store.

While I did find each glass to be good, it just wasn't great - I could take it or leave it. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again. I wouldn't not drink it again either if it was served to me. But I was a little surprised at the fairly decent WS rating so I searched on-line for reviews and found that WS had actually given the 2005 and 2006 the 91 rating. When I went back into the store I re-read the little tag. It said "2005". I looked at the wine in the bin. They were all 2006. But, I knew I was still safe because the 2006 was also given the higher rating (incidentally, Wine Enthusiast also gave the 2006 a decent rating; 90). So I bought it and I finally had it tonight.

The top is yet another screw-on cap. Upon opening, the bouquet was like that of a juniper bush or . . . cat pee!!! No way can I drink that, I thought. But I did. I had it alongside ricotta ravioli with olive oil, fresh grated parmesean and fresh avocado butter. It was so good. The avocado flavor was accentuated with the wine and vice versa. The wine was crisp and light but with an awesome balance of fruit (and a little hint of thyme for me) and acidity and a lingering finish. I highly recommend it. Incidentally, after sitting in my glass for about 5 minutes, the cat pee bouquet went away and a more citrus-pear scent eminated.

(Side note: The Guy is away doing his football writing thing, but he called me from a liquor store and asked for guidance in selecting a California red and an Australaian red el-cheapo style. Using Kevin Zraly's Once-A-Week recommendations, he chose one of each, getting both for under $20 total. He almost promised he'd post, so I hope to see those reviews up and coming at some point this week!)

8 out of 10
13% alc. by vol.
$15.99
http://www.drylands.co.nz/

No comments: