Thursday, July 19, 2007

Chateau Tour de Gillet Bordeaux

Montagne Saint-Emilion
Grand Vin de Bordeaux
2005

Earth concerns
Violence grows
Globally, hate brews
Grand Vin de Bordeaux
Distract me from the dreaded news
Saint-Emilion Region with a Chateau
Wish it was a Premiers Grands Crus
Welcoming a mental escape
Blocking what CNN has said
Simplicity, peace, compassion in the human race
Ahh, just dreaming, as "Moon River" sweetly plays in my head

The following adjectives describe my glassful experience: purple hue, high alcohol smell, "thin" taste, high tannin, not enough sweet grape, tart and slightly bitter, hot going down (not necessarily a bad thing). On the positive side, there was an earthiness I smelled and tasted and liked. The finish was at least one minute, but needless to mention, not well balanced at all.

There were several things I thought I had going for me with this purchase. It's not just a regular Bordeaux. It's a Bordeaux plus a region. Then, it's not just a Bordeaux with a region, it's a Bordeaux with a region AND a Chateau. Then, it comes from the "Right Bank" Saint-Emilion / Pomerol region. Then, it's one of the "great vintages" for the region: 2005. So, what happened? Why wasn't it a really good experience? I am guessing, but the little I retained from French classes is that "Montagne" means "mountain". Perhaps this wine comes from more of a mountainous part of Saint-Emilion and that effects the grape quality? The high tannin level I experienced suggests perhaps it just needs to remain unopened awhile longer. Perhaps with beef or pork loin it would be more tasteful. I had it alone and, most likely, too soon. I overpaid.

7.0 out of 10
14% alc. by vol.
$12.99 / bottle

Interesting Bordeaux Fact:
"Since 1882, when the venerable French company Guerlain first produced lip balm containing Bordeax wine, nursing mothers have used it as a salve for chapped nipples. 'It's a wonderfully soothing emollient, and red wine's tannic acid has healing properties,' says Elisabeth Sirot, attache de presse at Guerlain's Paris office. 'Frenchwomen have always known this secret.' Sirot used it when nursing all four of her children (she learned the tip from her own mother). How sensual - especially considering the American alternative is petroleum jelly."
(Taken from Kevin Zraly's book mentioned always on this blog.)

No comments: