Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Santa Rita Reserva


2005
Merlot
DO Maipo Valley, Chile

Will drink again - good value.

A deep garnet color, this wine has an intense smoky creosote scent - once again, I pick up that very particular smokiness that I immediately associate with the wines of Chile. First mouthful prior to swallowing was an immediate pleasant sweetness. Then I was hit with the smoky-cresosote flavor I've experienced before, but this was immediately followed by a Eucalyptus mint combo that I've often heard described but had yet to experience. It was pretty cool. There was a slight numbing in the back of my throat with the Eucalyptus flavor, then a simple but definite finish. This was very, very good. And, quite honestly, it was nice to NOT have the typical "berry" description I am so tired of giving and tasting. I'm still a little perplexed about how we actually pick up black berry and cherry flavors from grapes, though I definitely tend to taste them. If I had to pick a fruit for the sweetness in this wine, I would finally happily report it as my first-time "plum" experience.

JESSIE

Her beauty radiates, like a Winter Solstice:
so serene and then suddenly wild.
She’s a dazzling composition of woman-child.
Emotional and defiant, then abruptly stoic and full of grace.
On the verge of thirteen, in her breathtaking face,
As if it was yesterday, I can still clearly see,
the incredible babe that was born unto me.


8.25 out of 10
14.1% alc. by vol.
$10.99 / 750 ml. bottle
http://www.santarita.com/

No comments: