Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Frei Brothers Cabernet Sauvignon


2005
Alexander Valley
California


Will drink again - and will try the Merlot as well.

My cousin is married. The wedding was the first Jewish wedding I've ever attended. The best part? The bride and groom share wine during the ceremony with each other and then with their parents. Had I only known this when I was planning my wedding - I might have converted. But seriously, it was absolutely beautiful - the Rabbi was wonderful. The words spoken and meaning given behind the significance of each phase was just beautiful. As the bride lost her dad suddenly last year, his not being there was felt by all, especially she and her mom and sister. Her mom walked her down the aisle and handed her to my cousin. They then stood with the Rabbi under the Chuppah (a marriage canopy that symbolises the bride and groom's first home together). The bride's dad had a prayer shawl and his shawl was woven into the canopy of the Chuppah so that his presence was enveloping them - very emotional. The significance behind the breaking of the glass spoke volumes to me. Awesome.

The Guy, The Bro and I had a nice time in NYC (see some of my pictures posted so far at http://www.cheznathalie.com/ ). I did not, however, have any memorable wine experiences. The Frei Brothers Cabernet was the one I enjoyed the most out of the weekend. I had a glass at my hotel on Friday afternoon while feverishly trying to write a decent poem for The Cuz and his soon-to-be wife.

It's scent was warm spiced oak. It had a bit of a dark chocolate meets tobacco flavor, with a hint of slight vanilla and oak on the lingering finish.

Other wines I enjoyed but didn't care to bother scoring (mostly due to lack of label information)were a good Tempranillo that I had at the rehearsal dinner at La Palapa with the most delicious fried plaintains and sour cream, Cipriani Prosecco which I had at the wedding reception with the first course of lobster and asparagus in an olive oil and lemon dressing, and Beringer Stone Cellars Cabernet which I had at the cocktail hour before dinner and found it accompanied a juicy marinated beef appetizer nicely.

These beautiful flowers adorned the bar during the reception:


After the wine has been poured and life settles in,
A slight, inadvertent fading begins to vows taken among friends and kin.
So capture this moment, or any moment in the day ahead,
And savor it, return to it, let it ground you long after you have wed.

8.25 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$21 - $25 / 750 ml bottle
http://www.freibrothers.com/

No comments: